The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

spirea ?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Spirea| Next thread: Spirea Bush Foliage Problem »
Back to Thread index
by plants 'n pots on March 28, 2004 07:08 PM
I have 2 smallish spireas that I would like to keep that way. I noticed yesterday that they are starting to leaf out - YEA!!! [thumb]
When is the best time to prune these bushes?
I'd like to keep them in a small mound so they don't take over the small garden they are in...

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by alankhart on March 29, 2004 12:18 AM
You should prune them now. Spireas bloom on new wood, so the sooner you prune the better. You can also deadhead them after they bloom to get rebloom later in the summer.

-
 -
 -
by plants 'n pots on March 29, 2004 12:27 AM
Thanks Alan! [thumb]

I did deadhead them all summer long and gots lots of flowers...
was going to prune them now, but wasn't sure...

-
 -
by Bestofour on March 29, 2004 01:27 AM
I always prune mine right after they bloom. It's hard to keep them small though. It seems the more you prune, the more they grow.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Bess of the Piedmont on March 30, 2004 06:39 PM
I'm with Sherl. if you prune them now, you won't see any flowers this year, and that would be a shame.

I'd wait until after they bloom, then cut the longer branches off all the way to the ground, instead of mounding them. This maintains the natural open shape of the plant, and is healthier for it. But that's just my preference.

-
 -
by Bestofour on April 01, 2004 04:00 AM
This is one of mine a few days ago. Now that it has rained and is windy, the flowers are almost gone. They sure don't last long. I'll prune it as soon as weather permits.

-

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by plants 'n pots on April 01, 2004 05:18 AM
Thanks Sheri and Bess...

I guess we're talking about 2 different varieties of this plant.
Here is a picture I found doing a google search that is more like mine - sorry but I don't remember which variety I have - the tag might be in my garage, I can look tomorrow...

spirea

-
 -
by Newt on April 01, 2004 10:08 PM
Hi Lynne,
Looks like you have a spiraea japonica which should be pruned in late winter or early spring. There is a variety called Spiraea japonica 'Little Princess' that only grows 2' to 4'. You might want to consider moving the one you have and planting the smaller variety there so you won't have to prune so much.

Spiraea japonica 'Little Princess'

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Spirea| Next thread: Spirea Bush Foliage Problem »
Back to Thread index