The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Spireas

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Spirea Problem| Next thread: Spit on my plants?? »
Back to Thread index
by Storm on November 07, 2004 10:13 PM
Hi Everyone: Long time no see. Been very busy this past year.

I have a question about my spireas. We planted 3 of them last fall. They grew a lot over the season but no blooms (didn't really expect blooms this year) Now the leaves are turning yellow.

My question is:

In the spring, are the blooms going to bloom on the existing wood or will there be new branches forming. If I prune the existing wood, will I hurt my chances of blooms next year?

How do Spireas work?

Signed.....no clue. [Embarrassed] [Confused] [Embarrassed]
by Bestofour on November 08, 2004 02:41 AM
 -

This is the type of spirea I have. As you can see, it's in full bloom. My leaves never turn yellow so you must have a different kind. I prune my back after it has bloomed. The more I cut, the bigger they grow.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Shani on November 08, 2004 08:13 AM
I think spirea blooms on new growth, and is a summer bloomer at least the wild type that grows around here. I'd say that your best bet might be just to let it be this year and see when it blooms next year. If it blooms in spring then prune it 2-3 weeks after the blooms are done if it blooms in summer than prune it around this time next year

Shani
 -
May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
by Carly on November 08, 2004 08:58 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh! So that answers one of mine too.

OK - thanks for posting that.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Storm on November 09, 2004 04:51 AM
Thanks Shani. I haven't touched it since it was planted. I will wait and see what happens to it.

[thumb]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Spirea Problem| Next thread: Spit on my plants?? »
Back to Thread index