The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I need help with palm trees too...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Lady Blackchurch on January 24, 2006 11:58 PM
I was recently given 3 palm trees, I don't know what kind. They are quite tall, 8-10 feet. The trunks are 4-6 inches in diameter, and very short. The leaves are green. I would like to know if and how I can prune them back as a couple of them are too big for my house. Also they are in 12 inch pots and I'm wondering if I need to repot them. And watering....

They are really beautiful and look great in the house so I want to be able to take great care of them!

Bright Blessings,

Rebecca

"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them to become what they are capable of becoming." Goethe
by Cricket on January 25, 2006 05:47 AM
There are so many palm species it would be very helpful with identification if you can post photos of your palms.
by Lady Blackchurch on January 28, 2006 12:25 AM
I put a picture of the tree here:

Palm tree

Hope this helps you, it looks like a common variety to me, but then I don't know the names of any of the varieties [thinker]

Thanks!

Rebecca

"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them to become what they are capable of becoming." Goethe
by murphyette on January 28, 2006 06:13 AM
ooh...that pot is looking pretty small for that plant (which is WAY cool by the way) I don't know what variety it is, or if you can prune it. Hopefully somebody can give you some insight.

Jody
by RugbyHukr on January 28, 2006 07:29 AM
it looks like a Chamaedorea elegans ' parlor palm '

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by murphyette on January 28, 2006 09:42 PM
Thats a parlor palm? My parlor palm doesn't look like that. I'm a plant mama failure.

Jody
by GardenGuy_Gardener on January 28, 2006 10:03 PM
I'm sure you can prune a frond or two. WOW i can't belive its alive in such a SMALL pot!

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by Lady Blackchurch on January 31, 2006 01:50 AM
I just got them given to me a week or 2 ago. I think their really beautiful and really give the house that garden paradise look. Unfortunatly one is about dead, but I'm not giving up just yet, misting daily. The other 2 look great and I hope to repot them into something beautiful soon. Gotta get planters and dirt....

Thanks for the feed back, any more tips or info would be great!

Lady B

by Yann on February 02, 2006 04:36 AM
I am a (very) amateur so should be more cautious in making comments, however I had a plant that looked like that for a number of years. The tag said "Majesty Palm". See www.plant-care.com/majesty-palm.html. However my tag said bright indirect light and it thrived until I moved.

Yes the pot looks small but the plant is very healthy.

I pruned full fronds(?) but nothing else.
by Lady Blackchurch on February 03, 2006 02:46 AM
I pruned one the first day I got it.... it's dead now.... [Frown] soooo, I am misting the other 2 daily and I will hold off on repotting until they acclimate to the environment in our house, it's pretty warm in here most of the time, but dry, so I mist. I added a quart of water to each of them a couple of days ago and I check the dirt daily, it's still moist so I'll hold off on the water for now. Just keeping you posted, thanks all of you for your feed back!

Bright Blessings,

Lady B

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: