The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Gardening tools

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Gardening on a slope| Next thread: Gardenmom »
Back to Thread index
by packisnumber1 on April 11, 2006 10:26 PM
I don't know if this is the right area to post this message, but here goes.

I was wondering, since I am a very, very beginner at this gardening, what are some of the most basic and important tools I should have to properly make and maintain a garden?

Here's the stuff I have now to work w/: A shovel..spade type, a rake that's big and awkward, a wheelbarrow, a hoe, and a garden hose w/ a sprayer on the end.

I just was wondering what else would be essential for me. I am 22 and this is my first big gardening venture. So far I've only lived in places where I could have house plants only. Never have I had the garden space I have now.

Thanks for the help!
[wavey]
by johnCT on April 11, 2006 11:14 PM
Absolutely, positively a digging fork. [thumb]

Pruners also.

John - Zone 6
by porter57 on April 12, 2006 03:57 AM
dont forget a hand spade!!
you know the small one that fits in one hand
i also have a hand rake,makes it much easier to clean up around established plantings.
by Longy on April 12, 2006 03:58 AM
Of those you have, i reckon get to handle the hoe. It can be used for chipping weeds, breaking used beds before raking. Chipping in fertilizer, dragging across a bed to make a seed drill, filling the seed drill, chopping waste etc. Very handy tool if you know how to use it.
If you buy a fork, get a good one. The handles on the cheaper ones will bend when you least need them to, right at the join of the tynes to the handle.
If you buy pruners, or secateurs, get bypass ones as opposed to anvil type and if you can, spend a little more on them too. You really do get what you pay for with garden tools.
Most importantly, maintain them. Sharp, oiled, splinter free tools should be a pleasure to use not a chore in themselves and it's a great job to go thru sharpening them on a rainy day.

-
The secret is the soil.
by SpringFever on April 12, 2006 04:03 AM
How big is your area?? How much of it do you want to be a garden?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Bill on April 12, 2006 04:36 AM
by SpringFever on April 12, 2006 04:47 AM
That is some great information!! Better get some oil on mine as well!! thanks!

-
 -
by Longy on April 12, 2006 02:45 PM
great information
+++++++++++++++++
It is. Might i add that a bale of hay is great for cleaning tools. Like a fork for example. You poke it in and out of the bale a few times and it comes out really polished. Wipe the back of a shovel briskly over the hay to remove stuck soil or take a handful of hay to wipe down a knife blade after weeding etc etc.
If pruning diseased plants, always clean the blades with methylated spirit before moving to another plant. This will help prevent spreading disease.

-
The secret is the soil.
by patches1414 on April 12, 2006 03:41 PM
Excellent article Bill! [clappy] Thanks for posting it! [thumb]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by packisnumber1 on April 12, 2006 11:51 PM
Thanks everyone for your posts! It's all very helpful.

As for the size, I'm not sure, I will have to measure it and let you know. They are pre-established garden areas that were built into the landscapeing of our house. We just moved here in the winter and so I am just starting out w/ all this! [Smile] There are a lot of green plants popping up in the gardens already and I am anxious to see what they are. The previous owners didn't leave any tabs indicating what they were.

Thanks again to everyone! [Smile]
by SpringFever on April 13, 2006 01:40 AM
If you need any help figuring anything out just post us I am sure everyone will be happy to help!

-
 -
by slredmond on April 13, 2006 02:38 AM
Love my bulb planter for digging holes, and it's not just for bulbs! It makes the perfect sized hole for planting most young transplants, and you can dig a bunch of holes, spacing them the appropriate distance apart, then pop your plants in.

Sandy R.
by Triss on April 13, 2006 02:53 AM
Great article Bill. I see some new items that are a MUST have for the garden this year!

One thing not on the lists are gloves, lightweight ones for general digging and heavier ones if you are moving branches, rocks and such. Have to protect those hands cuz blistered hands or ones pricked with thorns make for staying in the house and not getting out in the garden!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Amigatec on April 13, 2006 02:59 AM
One thing I didn't see mentioned is a Stirrup Hoe.

I have one and use it for weeding.

Looks like the thing on a Horse saddle that you put your foot in.

You drag it along on the ground or just under it, and cut the weeds off.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Gardening on a slope| Next thread: Gardenmom »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: