The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

The Sensitive Plant: A very fun plant!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Lily789 on August 31, 2004 01:55 AM
I've always been interested in the Sensitive plant, called Mimosa Pudica. It has finely divided leaflets on long thin stems. When you touch it, the leaves immediately fold up neatly and hangs downward at an angle. You can watch that happen within seconds! I've heard it has pink, fuzzy flowers blooming within a few months of sowing. I've never seen these plants in any stores or garden parks or greenhouses. Just how common is it? Has anyone tried growing it before?

Also, I've obtained seeds from a store over five years ago. I sowed some, but have produced only one plant which has long died (they don't live that long). There are still some stored in my house, in a cool, dry place. I'm just wondering, do you think these seeds are still viable? Are mimosa seeds "long-lived?"

Thanks for any help!
Happy growing [flower] !

~Lily
by plants 'n pots on August 31, 2004 06:06 AM
Lily ~

I used to grow these for my kids when they were little, and actually bought a pack of seeds for myself this year. I started them indoors in March, but they got way too leggy and all ended up dying.

When my son was about 5 - 16 years ago, we actually got some to bloom those pink flowers, but the plant died shortly after. I don't know if it was because they were growing indoors or not.

I would give the seeds a try - what have you got to lose? I don't think I have any seeds left, but I might have the packet still. I'll look tomorrow and let you know - maybe you can order some fresh seeds... if you can't find them locally.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: