The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

??blooming x-mas cactus???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Blooming Orchid| Next thread: Blossom End Rot »
Back to Thread index
by phoenix on May 14, 2005 12:32 AM
i noticed today that i have a few blooms on my x-mas cactus [dunno] it starts blooming around thanksgiving,although this year it was octoer,and it has been known to have a few blooms near easter. i think it's confused. and i have noticed as of late that some of it's branches are dropping off [scaredy]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by dulcevoce on May 14, 2005 07:50 AM
My mom had a Christmas cactus that seemed to always bloom around T'giving. I was really surprised when I looked in a houseplant book, and in it was what they called a Thanksgiving Cactus -- it looked just like hers that was called Xmas cactus. Hmmm! Guess it just likes holidays, any holiday [Smile] Jane

-
by tkhooper on May 14, 2005 11:48 AM
Hi Phoenix,

My landlord has one that was doing that too this year. He repotted his and took some and put it in a second pot. I have no idea how since I don't own one and never have. But his plant is back to acting normal.

I read an ed hume article that said leaf drop and even joints is natural after blooming it's a kind of rest period for the plant. I don't know if this is of any help.

The article also stated that a healthy plant might bloom several times a year.
by connie mounsey on May 14, 2005 02:13 PM
Booth of my christmas cactuses have a few blooms on them. They only have a few of them though. Connie

Without faith life has no meaning.
by auntnene on May 14, 2005 03:19 PM
have you ever heard of "Christmas in July"? [Big Grin] I have a cactus that blooms every July without fail. I guess I should be thankful it blooms at all [Big Grin]

Please God, make me as good as my cat thinks I am!
by Jiffymouse on May 14, 2005 05:01 PM
mine just finished "blooming" if you can call 3 blooms blooming... but, since it is the first bloom since i potted it up, i'm not complaining...
by phoenix on May 14, 2005 05:59 PM
thank you all for your replies [kissies]
i LOVE this plant it was my mother's mother's mother's.....and so on . very old(i like to call it ancient(SP)and with the degree of leaf/branch loss i was a little worried i may need to re-pot it. it's been in this same terra cotta pot (1'-1&1/2' tall and maybe 2'around) ever since i can remember. thanx again [thumb]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by GiraffeMSW on May 15, 2005 04:03 PM
I bought one of these in full bloom back in late November...I had to have it because the blooms were white and I had never seen one with white flowers.

Since, it has bloomed continually about every 6 weeks. I am keeping it outside (gotta love FL for some things I suppose), hanging from a tree so it gets dappled sunlight. I water 3 times a week and feed every other week and it continues to bloom.

The higher the point of view, the broader the horizon...said the giraffe.
by PAR_Gardener on May 16, 2005 07:42 AM
I haven't had much luck with Christmas Cactus myself. I tried multiple things to get them to thrive without luck. I did a lot of research on it too. The blooming is triggered according to the plants photo-period; amount of light it gets during the day. I think the correct photo-period is 6 hours to get blooms

Hence, if you do nothing special, you can expect the cactus to bloom twice a year. Around which holiday depends on they type of lighting your cactus is getting. If you can simulate the correct amount of light, you can get it to bloom more than twice a year. GiraffeMSW is proof of that. The dappled sun is probably enough to simulate the proper photo period.

Again, the photo-period stuff is what I read. My success has not been that great.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by GiraffeMSW on May 17, 2005 01:36 AM
That does make a bit of sense. My plant hangs on the shadier side of the tree, but still gets the dappled light.

I checked on it this afternoon, as this thread made me think of it. I know it was in bllom two months ago when a friend brought over a sago palm because she commented on it...it has 6 new blossoms about to open now.

I'm not moving it...ever! [Big Grin]

The higher the point of view, the broader the horizon...said the giraffe.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Blooming Orchid| Next thread: Blossom End Rot »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: