The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

White Caladium

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: White Caladium| Next thread: White Caladium »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on May 10, 2005 09:51 PM
Ten spikes today. It looks like it's going to be a pretty full planter. I can't wait for the leaves to start showing.

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 12, 2005 07:23 AM
Tammy,
Did you get any pictures of those???
Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on May 12, 2005 11:23 AM
I'm sorry Weezie,

No I didn't. When the camera was here it was a planter full of dirt. lol But next go round I promise to give it a try. Right now they look like the pictures in "This is not obscene" except that the tips are brown rather than pink.

-
 -
by Sharky on May 12, 2005 12:07 PM
Caladiums are so neat - there are three pots full on my porch, all have spikes, but one of the spikes unfurled over the last 36 hours. There are three or four more just beginning to unfurl.

I bought a bag of tubers at Walmart for less than $3 and planted them April 16th. I kept the pots indoors until the low temps stayed above 50 F, carrying them out to bask in the sun during the day until the spikes showed, then I moved them to the porch.

First time I ever tried growing them from dried tubers! Next spring I'm gonna fill a whole bed with them - I have a nice semi-shade spot under a big palm tree that has hostas in it now. [grin]
by tkhooper on May 12, 2005 12:28 PM
That sounds fantastic. I'm going to try keeping mine indoors. I have some dappled shade from one of the trees but it moves so at some point in the day the area is always sunny. And I'm chicken. Any way as it gets hotter I'll be spending most of my time in the apartment. I don't do the heat well and I need them inside to cheer me up.

I got mine at wal-mart too. I had never seen the white ones before and was interested to see them.

-
 -
by tkhooper on May 12, 2005 04:22 PM
14 spikes today, I'm getting excited here. I guess it really like the high humidity we are having this week.

-
 -
by tkhooper on May 14, 2005 07:09 PM
21 spikes and one has a leaf. A little tiny all green leaf at the moment. I love the shape of these leaves and can't wait for more to show up. One of the bulbs is only showing one spike so far so I'm expecting more to show up this week. That bulb must have been buried deeper or something it is way behind the others.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: White Caladium| Next thread: White Caladium »
Back to Thread index