The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Care & Needs of Goldfish Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by SoFlaPlantLvr on March 23, 2005 06:24 PM
I recently purchased a Goldfish Plant to put in a large planter on my terrace. The tag on the plant stated it needed bright light, which was exactly what I was looking for. I live in South Florida and my terrace gets LOTS of sun! I went on the Internet to find out more about this unusual plant, and now I have read much conflicting advice about how to care for it and its specific needs, especially in the areas of light requirements and water/humidity. Does anyone have any experience with successfully growing a Goldfish Plant? My new plant has dozens of buds getting ready to open into little "goldfish" and I don't want to kill them!
by tkhooper on March 23, 2005 11:01 PM
here is a link that might help.

goldfish plant

It has a picture of the plant without blooms, is this what yours looks like?

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 23, 2005 11:05 PM
It didn't work. Poo!!!

Well it said it liked medium light and not alot of water. They had it indoors.

-
 -
by Kurlie77 on March 24, 2005 03:00 AM
I can help! I can help! I can help!

My aunt bought my mom one of these gold fish plants quite a few years ago, and it is VERY EASY TO CARE FOR!!!! In fact, you barely need to care for it at all! We practically never water it, and I dont think we've ever moved it into a new pot. It always has new blooms on it and it is very healthy. You definately picked a winner! I promise, if you have the same plant as, me, you couldnt kill it if you tried! [Love]
by SoFlaPlantLvr on March 24, 2005 08:09 PM
[flower] Thanks for your reply, Kurlie77. I hope it's as easy to grow my Goldfish plant here in South Florida as it is in your part of the country! [thumb]

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/screensaver/buds/pict0004.jpg
by TomR on March 27, 2005 08:51 PM
I keep mine in a west window and water when almost dry. I use half strength miracle grow every other watering or so. VERY easy plant, I love 'em!

I have 3 small ones (3-4" pots) and even started a few new ones from clippings!

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by SoFlaPlantLvr on March 28, 2005 12:52 AM
Thanks, TomR, and others for your advice on my Goldfish Plant. I emailed pictures of it to my Mom in Tennessee and she wants one! It's so unusual and we can't get over how much the buds look like little goldfish. I will keep everyone's advice in mind when caring for it. I have mine outdoors, so I will watch it to see if the South Florida sun gets too hot for it. By the way, I wanted to post a picture of it with this email, but have no idea how to do that. I've never been a part of a forum before, so I'm still learning all the "how to's". How do I post a picture to this website?

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/screensaver/buds/pict0004.jpg

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: