The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Noticed weird growth on aloe

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: nothing grows in my house..help !!!| Next thread: November 2, 2005 »
Back to Thread index
by Nako on April 23, 2005 03:21 AM
Hi!
I don't have a problem with the plant ^.^ I just wanted to learn about its growth habits. I was looking it over the other day because my room mate left the window open and i wanted to find any dead spots on it.

I noticed under the "leaves" towards the main growth point that there are these things that look like smaller "leaves" growing straight up and almost stabbing the large leaves. I donno what to call them lol. I'm guessing its like my bamboo begonia where under the stem of each leave, there's a spike where a new leave can come out of in case the top gets lobbed off.

So ya ^.^ is that what they are?
Thanks!

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by rozy221 on April 23, 2005 09:09 PM
If what you're speaking of is growing from the soil, then I believe you have baby aloe plants. I have the same thing going on, but I'm not sure what to do with them-leave them or separate them or what. Someone who knows a little more should be by soon to help you out a little better. Good luck!
by gardenmom32210 on April 23, 2005 09:25 PM
Rozy's right,sounds like you have a baby [thumb] You can leave it in there or wait till it gets a little bigger and break it off and plant it seperately. Keep caring for it the way you are and you'll get lots of them.

Cool Beans!

G-Mom [grin]
by Nako on April 25, 2005 07:55 AM
ooooo nononono, i have probably 5 babies growing around it ^.^ I know what those are lolz. They're reserved for friends for when they graduate so they can remember me [Smile]

These lil spikey things grow between the leaves... I need a digital camera >.< Its like *thinks* i donno lol. okay, you know how an alo plant grows? leaf comes out the middle, moves to the side, another leave shows up, etc.? And then the leaves are like piled on each other around this one center stem? Well if you look between the leaves on mine, like where leaves have been lost due to transportation, there's a lil tiny spike that looks kinda like a leave or something ^.^ But i donno what it is, cuz it could just be a thingy, and i donno if i should cut em off, cuz they're growing straight up and will probably pierce the upper leaves >.<

I think i have to either show you a picture, or photoshop a picture from the web lol. I donno how to explain it ^.^ But do ya know what i mean?

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by gardenmom32210 on April 25, 2005 02:14 PM
Well my dear...I think it might be a flower stalk making its appearance! They come out in-between the leaves.

-

Give it plenty of sunshine and it should look like this in a few days.

G-Mom [grin]
by tkhooper on April 25, 2005 03:36 PM
My Aloe isn't big enough to do that yet. [tears] Whaaaaaaaaaaa.

But I'm really glad yours is. I take it this is it's first flower?

So they make babies before they flower? Are you using any fertilizer on yours?

I'm in zone 7a do you think I could put it outside say maybe in august for the month?

-
 -
by gardenmom32210 on April 25, 2005 03:54 PM
quote:
I'm in zone 7a do you think I could put it outside say maybe in august for the month?
I don't see why not. Don't expect it to be able to handle outside conditions all at once,introduce it to the outdoors a couple of hours each day and before you know it,it will be thriving in its new habitat.

G-Mom [grin]
by Nako on April 26, 2005 03:41 AM
Hi!
omg that would be so cool if it were flowering!! That would be the second succulent i've gotten to flower if it works [Smile] I got my spiky thing to flower too ^.^ Its flower stems came out of the center though. It looks like a lil spikey black and white striped aloe plant with the flower of a spider plant [thumb]

I donno, i got a picture of it without a flower in my webshots ^.^

That'd be totally cool if my aloe were flowering though! I'll keep ya updated [grin]

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by gardenmom32210 on April 29, 2005 02:29 PM
Whats happening with your Aloe,Nako. Is the "growth" getting taller?

G-Mom [grin]
by Nako on May 02, 2005 09:55 AM
nnnnnnnnope, its just kinda sitting there. There's two of em btw. But ya, they're both just kinda sittin there. I think they are flower stocks ^.^

oh, and the baby aloe are growing babies now o.O pots gettin crouded! I gotta give some of these things away lol. I'm gonna take some final pictures of my plants and post em on here before i move em home ^.^

Thanks a lot for the info Karen [flower]
~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: nothing grows in my house..help !!!| Next thread: November 2, 2005 »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: