The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mushrooms in my lawn

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Rosepetal on June 20, 2006 03:01 PM
What can I do about those mushroom rings in my lawn? [Eek!] [Eek!]

We've had a lot of rain here lately, but I'm not sure where they come from. [dunno] [dunno]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Longy on June 21, 2006 01:04 AM
What can I do about those mushroom rings in my lawn?
+++++++++++
Enjoy the look of them?

-
The secret is the soil.
by Rosepetal on June 21, 2006 03:27 AM
Awwwwwwwww....come on, are you serious [scaredy] [scaredy]

But me thinks you may be right. We've had these for years, but only off and on. [Eek!] [Eek!]

I was honestly hoping someone has come up with a better deal already. [thinker]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Longy on June 21, 2006 12:36 PM
If you don't have to do anything, but enjoy them. Isn't that a pretty good deal? I don't reckon it gets much better than that:-)
You could spend a bunch of money on fungicides or you could remove your topsoil and replace it i guess. But neither would necessarily be gauranteed to work. There are a few differing opinions on reasons for them to be , but i don't care why, just that they are. They don't cause any problems.
I really like those rings.

-
The secret is the soil.
by The Plant Doc on June 21, 2006 04:26 PM
There is nothing that you can do to get rid of mushrooms. Although they are a fungi fungicides do nothing to mushrooms. This would be about the same thing as trying to kill a giant oak tree with a shot of dandelion killer.
They come from spores which are trapped usually in pieces of buried wood. as the wood decays the spores are released and then work their way to the surface. Actually the mushroom itself is just the flower of the fungi, the actual infected area came be much larger. The rings are known as Fairy Rings. Most of the time, they are harmless to the lawn, however if the mycelium growth, (the actual fungal body which appears as very fine strands which resemble spider webs)gets to thick, it can choke out the lawn. The best thing to do if that is the case is core aerate the lawn DO NOT USE A SPIKER! as this will compact the area and make the problem worse.
Fairy rings have a lot of really cool lore behind them, and are pretty interesting to read up on. They can be anywhere from a few feet to over a mile across. They have been observed in the rain forests by the astronauts circling the earth in outer space!

Here are some interesting links:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/02908.html

http://www.unce.unr.edu/publications/FS03/FS0320.pdf#search='fairy%20ring%20fact%20sheet%200320'

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Rosepetal on June 23, 2006 03:57 AM
Thanks Mike,

I remember doing this to my mother's fairy rings when I was still at home. We had lots of them then. Thanks for reminding me of this.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: