The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

henbit/clover/sorrel

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by JenT on May 24, 2006 02:46 PM
Hi Everyone!

I am trying not to be jealous of my neighbor's grass, but mine is infested with these naughty weeds.

Any suggestions? I hate to think of dousing my lawn with some disgusting chemical as we have many birds and animals running around. I have been pulling up by hand when possible and keeping my lawnmower on the highest setting as I read somewhere that favors grass over weeds.

Any suggestion would be appreciated for the common pests! (which I am trying to learn to love, just in case...)
by The Plant Doc on May 25, 2006 01:14 AM
2-4-d would be your best bet, and it is pretty environmentally friendly, but your best bet with out "chemicals" would be corn gluten, but results with that is iffy at best (no matter what all the media hype says).
Here is a link to some info about it.
http://www.gluten.iastate.edu/

The best thing to keep weeds under control is a healthy lawn. Feed it 3 times a year, and stay away from the "organic" fertilizers as they tend to bring in fungal diseases.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by johnCT on May 25, 2006 01:19 AM
There is not much more you can do that you're not already doing organically. Believe it or not, chemicals are pretty safe when used according to the directions on the label. It's amazing the bad rap that herbicides have gotten because of the uninformed critics on the internet. Ortho's weed-b-gon would work on all your weeds. It would allow you to get the upperhand on the problem, then your raised mower height and hand-weeding would become easier eventually leading to a weed-free lawn. The trick with controlling them long term is not allowing the weeds to go to seed and spread future generations of them. Good luck.

John - Zone 6
by Longy on May 25, 2006 06:50 PM
Sorrel does well in soils that are acidic and possibly too wet. An application of lime or dolomite, cutting the grass longer and only watering once the soil is dry, if at all, may help.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: