The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Moles?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Moles| Next thread: MOLES !!! Help please »
Back to Thread index
by glassychrisy on February 17, 2006 09:46 PM
I believe I have moles making an underground city all over my yard. There seems to be evidence of tunnels everywhere!My biggest concern is when they get into the area of my vegetable garden beds. How can I get rid of them?
Chrisy
by peppereater on February 18, 2006 01:25 AM
You can get a product called Mole Rid, and other, that come in a bottle you attach to a hose and spray the ground with. It contains castor bean oil. You can get these most anywhere.
I used it several years ago, you have to apply it more than once, and I got rid of the moles.
Since then, they came back, and this time I can't get rid of them. I may not have sprayed enough, I don't know. I HATE those critters, they're vastly destructive.
I have not tried the mole traps.
There are a variety of mole control products at this site:
http://www.gardensalive.com/default.asp?sid=141487&eid=&bhcd2=1140196911

Good luck! Oh yeah, if you order a catalogue, they'll send it with a coupon to get $25 dollars worth of merchandise free! [clappy]

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by RugbyHukr on February 18, 2006 04:15 AM
moles are usually a sign of a grub problem. the moles feed on the grubs. treat to rid your yard of the grubs and the moles will leave.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Lippert Lodge on February 25, 2006 03:49 PM
I think I have a grub problem! How do you get rid of the grubs?

I posted a message about my lawn problem and forgot to mention that I also have noticed some mole activity...your message has convinced me that it's a grub problem but I don't know how to fix it. Do you know of a product that works?

Stacy
by weezie13 on February 25, 2006 10:19 PM
Gopher Purge *also called Gopher spurge*
(*or Mole Plant*) contains a latex that is like a milky sap that is found in the roots, leaves and flowers.
But to protect plants from the gophers or moles, you have to plant a thick stand of the Euphorbia to create a barrier

( [teacher] Side note: Poinsettias also contain the same kind of sticky sap which can cause skin irritation in sensitive people.)

I do understand, that the actual plant itself, only lives like a biennial... but it does re~seed prolifically.... so, keep an eye ball on it..
(I don't think it's obnoxious, but anything that re~seeds itself, it can't hurt to monitor..)

P.S. Stacy, Welcome Aboard, we're glad you found us, ther'es lot's to do here, take a peak around..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by The Plant Doc on March 03, 2006 01:17 PM
The best way to get rid of the grubs is an application of Grub-Ex or a similar type product.
The only problem is that the grubs are usually only present a couple of weeks during the late spring/early summer and again for a couple of weeks in the late summer/early fall.
The preventative application lasts the entire season, and needs to be applied after the grass starts growing actively. The curative type of insecticide needs to be put down while the grubs are active.
I like the preventative measure myself as it is a systemic and it makes the grass itself inedible to the grubs. It does not harm the insects unless they eat the grass leaving most beneficial critters untouched. With either application you would need to water it in very well with at least a half an inch of water.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by pagarden on March 24, 2006 08:40 PM
not sure if we have grubs but we did have a mole living under our shed 2 years ago. i watched and saw him sneak out a few times- yes i was obsessed with finding out what was making holes all around the shed! LOL i got a box of moth balls and shoved them in each hole i saw and i never saw a mole since!
by tj on March 29, 2006 09:07 AM
I once was shocked to see how many bumps and holes were on my flowers one morning. Hubby had my car that day cuz his was being worked on, and I was deperately going through my house looking for anything that might kill them. I ended up dumping about 4 or 5 tablespoons of ceyan pepper into just "one" of the holes and then ran some water into the hole and I didn't see anymore moles for 2 or 3 years. now this spring they are back. I'll get more of that or try one og the things you guys suggested. [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Moles| Next thread: MOLES !!! Help please »
Back to Thread index