The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

downsizing?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Down yonder in the woods| Next thread: Downy's? »
Back to Thread index
by rozy221 on February 20, 2005 07:05 PM
I can't seem to catch a break here!! A friend of mine just recently moved back to France and gave me a few of her houseplants which she couldn't take with her. I've got a croton, an African violet, and a reiger begonia. All plants seem to be doing ok, and they all have new growth, although the croton seems a little dull. The reason I'm concerned is because I guess that, immediately after she bought these plants, she repotted them into decorative, tin containers, without drainage, and they're too big, on top of it! I've read that crotons like to be root-bound-I'm not sure about the others. Should I try downsizing the pots-down to a 4 or 5 inch pot from an 8-10 inch one? The current pots are quite deep, also. I seem to be a magnet for these plants in need of help! Thanks for any advice!
by Amy R. on February 20, 2005 07:31 PM
lol rozy, you poor thing! well, if it was me, i would repot the plants in smaller, well draining containers immediately(i know african violets prefer tight quarters as well). too bad i'm no expert and i have no idea if this is the right thing to do! [scaredy] but i would rather stress my plants momentarily by repotting them, then run the risk of stressing them indefinitely, does that make sense? probably not! Will?? are you back yet??
good luck rozy, let us know how it goes. [grin]
by Jiffymouse on February 20, 2005 09:28 PM
pot them down. the sooner the better. just be careful to allow about 1/2 in (give or take) around the edge of the root ball. they'll be fine once you do that. you'd be amazed at how resillient they can be!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Down yonder in the woods| Next thread: Downy's? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: