The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Money Tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Money Tree| Next thread: Money Tree »
Back to Thread index
by lxygurl on May 02, 2004 10:16 PM
I have had a money tree for almost a year. It was doing great. Now the leaves are all quickly dying and falling off. There is new growth but not like it was. Should I repot this? I just got the crazy idea that maybe there isn't enough room for the roots. I really like the tree and want to save it. If this isn't the answer than any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also I just noticed that the very bottom of the bark almost looks like something has peeled it off. It may have always been that way I just happend to notice it now. Thanks.
by afgreyparrot on May 02, 2004 11:55 PM
Gee...I have the same problem. I think my Money Tree (a.k.a. Andy) needs repotting, too!
by lxygurl on May 03, 2004 12:21 AM
Well then I hope someone here can help us solve our problem. Now my husband can't say it is just me killing another plant!! Good luck with yours.
by Will Creed on May 03, 2004 02:17 AM
Your money tree may not be getting enough light if the new leaves are tiny. Lack of light could also be the cause of the older leaf drop. Improper watering will also cause leaf drop.

Never repot an ailing plant. Only after it is fully recovered and the roots have outgrown the pot should it be repotted.
by lxygurl on May 03, 2004 02:26 AM
The leaves always started out small and grew into a few inches long. It is in the same location that it was until the winter came and it was to cold to leave it outside in my closed in porch. All winter I had it on top of my fridge because of my cat and it's been fine up until a few weeks ago. How do I know if there is enough room for the roots in the pot? I've always watered it the same way that I water my lucky bamboo so maybe I am overwatering it but I've been doing the same thing for the past 8 months that I've had it. I just want to save the poor guy. I really like it and I don't see them around as much and if I do, they aren't healthy. Thanks!!
by Will Creed on May 04, 2004 03:43 AM
Pachira aquatica is a fairly new plant on the market, so there is not a lot of information on how this plant fares over the long term. Some plants are more tolerant than others of lapses in care. Time will tell about this particular plant.

Plants often respond very slowly to adverse conditions. A plant that gets just a bit too much water or not quite enough light will look fine for a long time before the effects of the improper watering or light are noticed. Unless, your refrigerator is right next to a sunny window, then inadequate light over the winter may be the problem.

I don't know how you water your lucky bamboo, so I don't know if that is appropriate for your Pachira.

If there is anough soil to keep the roots moist for three days or more, then there is enough room for the roots. Plants do best when there roots are crowded.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Money Tree| Next thread: Money Tree »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: