The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Could It Be Root Rot?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: could it be ...| Next thread: Couldn't wait any longer!! »
Back to Thread index
by Keri on January 15, 2005 08:41 PM
I have two different types of Ivy that I bought about 2 years ago. They both have stopped growing. The leaves are green on both and I water them every few weeks but there hasn't been any growth on them for about a year. What should I do about this?

I am also needing to repot all my house plants, as I have neglected them the past year (besides watering). I am wondering if repotting these two will help or damage them anymore?

Thanks in advance.
Keri
by Apple on January 15, 2005 08:55 PM
It might help. A big thing with most ivies is the amount of light you're giving them. Whatcha can do is put them in a sunnier location. Sometimes ivies have this thing where they'll be not growing, not growing, not growing, not growing, BOOM GROWING!!! Well that's been the case with me and all my friends' ivy lol. But ya, maybe more light would help?
by Keri on January 16, 2005 01:25 AM
It is funny you mentioned that because I have moved both plants around every once in a while to try and get it to grow. I just don't know what to do.

Can someone please explain root rot a little more in depth for me?

Thanks,
Keri
by Amy R. on January 16, 2005 03:07 AM
Hi Keri,
i'm not sure if your ivy question and root rot query are related or not, so pardon me if this info is inconsequential. here is ivy link with lots of nice info. is it possible that your ivy plants are rootbound?

http://www.ivy.org/care.html

i'm not too familiar with root rot either, thankfully;), but here is another link that may help.

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP-55.html
by Amy R. on January 16, 2005 03:18 AM
me again,
found another ivy link for you, and off of this site too, so it must be good!

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/growingivy.html
by Keri on January 16, 2005 05:07 AM
[thumb] WOW, THANKS AMY! Those sure were great links! I especially liked the second link! I saved them all for future refrence and I really appreciate you helping me out. They did answer alot of my questions and now, I am ready to get to work, just a shame I have to wait till Monday (if it is warm enough) to do all this!!

I do have one more quick question that I can't find an answer to. When is the BEST time to have a repotting party, which has needed to be done for a year now? I don't want to put the plants in shock by doing it the wrong time of the year.

Thanks again,
Keri [wayey]
by Amy R. on January 16, 2005 06:00 AM
hi again Keri!
okay, this is gonna be a hard one for me as i'm totally winging it myself, LOL. i don't usually follow all the rules, so i am going to paste a few more links for you here, and let you decide.

http://www.susansgardenpatch.com/indoor.htm

http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00063.asp

best of luck to you, and i can't wait for the results!
by Amy R. on January 16, 2005 06:14 AM
me, again, i know, i'm ridiculous, [scaredy]
this is off-topic, but i just sent you some links for your indoor roses on your other post. this is so much fun! too much, i need a job, LOL. no, i need to go to bed! good luck, Keri!
by Keri on January 16, 2005 06:24 AM
LOL!! My hubby keeps telling me I am going to have to get a job if I don't quit messing with these plants and buying new ones, LOL!

I am headed to bed now, I will look at the links tomorrow! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!

Good Night All,
Keri
by Keri on January 16, 2005 09:36 PM
Amy,

I read those other two links you provided and have come to the decision that I will wait till spring to repot these. Both of the sites stated that spring is best but can do it when it needs to be done. I figured with the way my luck is going right now with my plants, it might be best to wait till spring!

OH I CAN'T WAIT!! LOL!

Thanks for the info! Your the best!
Keri [muggs]
by Amy R. on January 18, 2005 02:15 AM
Hi Keri,
i'm glad you found the links helpful! i just noticed that you were in louisiana, so what time of year is spring for you folks? here in tucson it's just around the corner. anyway, i was thinking that it might be soon for you too. so good luck, you are going to do great, and your ivies will thrive because of it. keep us posted!
by Keri on January 18, 2005 05:36 AM
HEY!! Spring starts in March here in Louisiana so it is just around the corner and I CANT WAIT!!! I am sure I will put my ivies in shock and they will feel brand new, considering all I have done is watered them the last 2 years, LOL! This is so much fun! I am just now starting to get into all this because I work at home now and have alot of time on my hands. It is funny because when I was younger I laughed at my mother while she was gardening and look at me now. She is the one who is laughing at me now! LOL!

Thanks for the kind words and all your help! YOUR THE BEST!

Keri [thumb]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: could it be ...| Next thread: Couldn't wait any longer!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: