The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Croton

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: crossbreeding roses| Next thread: Croton blooms/seeds? »
Back to Thread index
by minnycourt on April 11, 2004 02:32 AM
I went to the Home Depot today and in the indoor plant section I found this beautiful plant called a Croton. I have it facing an east with light from a north window. I am not sure if this will be adequate lighting. There is light coming from the window, but it's not direct sun.

Am I going to have a problem? Are there any special growing tips that I need to be aware of?

Thxs.. [Wink]

Minnycourt

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
by weezie13 on April 11, 2004 04:58 AM
Minny,
I don't know much about those plants,
BUT AREN'T THEY GORGEOUS?!?!?!!?!?!

So much color or bang for you buck!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by ferroworks on April 11, 2004 10:58 AM
I've got a Croton "Mammi" that I got about 6 months ago and it is doing wonderful! the new leaves are bigger than the original big guys, and I have been giving it as much sun as possible, 6 hours of direct sun and 3 to 4 of inderect bright sun (I have a south/east facing bay window).

From what I have read, the more sun, the more color, and NEVER let it dry out. The first three months proved that...
I gave it tons of sun, but let it dry out between waterings. I thought it was getting over-suned, and that was why the new leaves were falling off. So I moved it to a less direct sun location, learned I shouldn't let it dry out, and began proper watering. Then all the yellow/red leaves starting turning green. When I moved it back into full sun, placed it in a try of small pebbles, almost full with water, and always kept it moist, it starting some healthy growin'......

good luck! Please let me know what you find out.
One of my stems is growing MUCH better than the other, and I can't seem to figure out why.

be careful of spider mites, I spray the undersides each morning! is your's the same as mine, with twisting leaves?
by Chrissy on April 11, 2004 03:05 PM
I purchased a small croton from Walmart about 3 months ago. It was pretty sickly looking when I bought it, got it on the 50 cent rack (our wally world takes all the plants from last season & anything dead or dying & sells it off this rack). I am always trying to rescue & nurse back to health plants off this rack. The croton only had 3 leaves, but they were the most brilliant colors I have ever seen on folaige outside of my perillas & coleus. I brought it home & took good care of it for 3 days, then woke up to find its leaves had all dropped. I still have an empty stem sitting under my grow light, hoping it will regrow. So far it has been close to 3 months & I have nothing but an empty stem:( I have a pretty good green thumb, but I am at a loss as to what I can do for this plant. It makes me so sad because I haven't seen another one at the stores around here anywhere. I hope you have better luck than I did. Chrissy

-
 -
z5b
by ferroworks on April 12, 2004 05:40 AM
what type of Croton do you have?

Is it like this Croton "Mammi"?
by Chrissy on April 12, 2004 06:25 AM
It only said croton plant on the plant label from wally world, but it looked just like this variety: http://www.evergrowing.com/tips/croton.htm

-
 -
z5b
by Will Creed on April 17, 2004 10:39 PM
Ferroworks has all the information you need - maximum direct sun, keep the soil moist, watch for spider mites.

Grow lights will not produce enough light for a Croton.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: crossbreeding roses| Next thread: Croton blooms/seeds? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: