The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Toadstool in my indoor Spider Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: toad lily problem?| Next thread: toadstools »
Back to Thread index
by Spider Woman on December 30, 2004 05:03 AM
I live in a high rise apartment building on the 11th floor, no balcony, and I have a toadstool in my spider plant. How can this be?

The bud/baby came from my mother from an indoor environment. The plant is growing wonderfully (except for the brown tips, I'm now changing the water to distilled). I watered it yesterday and today I see a small mushroom/toadstool. The only thing I can think of is that the pot the plant is in came from my boss' dead plant. I cleaned out all the old dried up dirt (dry cleaned with cloth, no soap/water) and potted the plant with fresh Miracle Gro potting mix.

What can I do to save my beautiful booming baby?

Thanks,

VJR
by Longy on December 30, 2004 11:54 AM
I wouldnt be too worried SW. The toadstool came up from the potting medium. It won't hurt anything though but if you don't want it pull it out. There is organic matter in your potting mix and the toadstool is part of the mix breaking down.
by Spider Woman on January 06, 2005 07:34 AM
The toadstool appeared to be dying, but then in ONE DAY, I have 4 in the same spot. Now I'm a little freaked. I am really concerned that this is harming my plant.

VJR
by Amy R. on January 06, 2005 08:39 AM
hi Spider Woman,
i had a toadstool come up in an old amaryllis pot that was sitting around forever. it was actually quite large, but most impressive is that i live in tucson which isn't exactly renowned for it's mushroom cultivation. i seriously doubt that the mushrooms are harming your plant, they are just trying to get by in the soil that you have. if you are still freaked out, try knocking off the top inch/inch and 1/2 layer of soil. maybe that will stop the toadstools from coming up. i personally think it's kinda cool and unusual, almost like a gift. but to each their own. good luck!
by mich168 on January 07, 2005 04:58 AM
Toadstools? My big Spider plant gets them. They are harmless.
Toadstools are a type of mushroom and they reproduce by spores. Spores float around in the air, so your toadstools might have come in durning the summer or fall. They really are no big deal. Just pull them out and let the top of the soil dry out before watering again. [flower]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: toad lily problem?| Next thread: toadstools »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: