The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

rubber tree help me

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Rubber Tree Help!!| Next thread: Rubber Tree Plant »
Back to Thread index
by jeanneleequeen on August 03, 2006 04:06 AM
My rubber tree has lost more than 50% of its leaves. It is not growing any new stalks. It is growing leaves but more leaves are falling than growing. It is in the corner of my living room, away from vents, in front of a west facing window. My house stays at 72 to 75 degrees. I water it about 2-3 times per month (when the soil is dry). I don't know what is wrong. Help!
by loz on August 03, 2006 05:23 AM
How long have you had it? They're very funny about change--makes them drop leaves fast. Have you moved it lately?

Maybe it isn't getting enough light. I keep mine outside in the shade in the summer, and bring it inside in the fall and put it in a very sunny spot....When I moved it there last year it was the first time it didn't drop ANY leaves over the winter.

Could you move it outside in the shade for a while???? Mine is growing like wildfire right now! When it's out there I water it deep every other day.
by Jiffymouse on August 03, 2006 02:32 PM
another thought, i had one do that suddenly and discovered it had a bad scale infestation [scaredy]
by sipwed on August 06, 2006 06:08 AM
You folks seem to know quite a bit about rubber tree plants. My rubber tree has tiny oval scaly "things" on it. I've scraped them off, sprayed insecticide, etc but nothing seems to get rid of them. Does anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them?
Thanks!
by DowntoEarth on August 06, 2006 01:47 PM
Sounds like possible scale. You can try rubbing alcohol mixed (about an inch) with some water in a spray bottle and spray, spray, spray, or, a Q-Tip dipped in alcohol and tounch each scale you see might help. Just make sure if you spray (get every inch dripping wet including under the leaves) and I would also cover soil, then keep it out of any direct sun until it's dry or those areas can turn white.
You might have to go back and do this several times, every 5 days or so until they are all gone.
Sometimes scale can be hard to get rid since you can't really see them until they make their protective cover that you do see.
You can also try scraping the scale with your fingernail first, then dip the Q-Tip and touch them as you go.
Also, make sure if you have any other plants nearby that they are moved or they to can get infested.
by Jiffymouse on August 06, 2006 02:25 PM
another thing you can do is add a few drops of soap to the alcohol mix to "soften" the shells. but, i will second the statement that they are hard to get rid of!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rubber Tree Help!!| Next thread: Rubber Tree Plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: