The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

African Violet Help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: African Violet Fantasy Flowers?| Next thread: African Violet Help »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2
by gardeningmomma on July 27, 2006 03:20 PM
A few months ago, I took a cutting off of a friend's AV. Today, I noticed that it has some new growth! Yay! Should I take the lid off of the plastic container I have it in? Or should I leave it until it has some more growth?
Thanks.
by comfrey on July 27, 2006 03:38 PM
If it has new growth then I would take the lid off the container..new growth should mean that it has rooted. Congratulations!!!!

-
 -
by ShirlS on July 27, 2006 03:54 PM
I would say it depends on how big the new growth you have is. I leave mine in the covered environment until the mouse ears are about the size of a thumb nail, and they have all done wonderfully. If you do keep them covered for a little longer make sure you take the cover off ocassionally, to allow air circulation. If you want to see one that I grew from a leaf, click on my link and look through my Av photo album. The Av called Deep Sky is one of my babies. Congrats on your new baby!

Shirl

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by Triss on July 27, 2006 04:00 PM
I have kept mine in their domes as well until they ar a little bigger than just a bit of new growth. So far mine are doing great too!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by gardeningmomma on July 28, 2006 03:50 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll keep it covered a little longer then. The new growth is still tiny, not as big as a thumb nail yet. I'll try and get a picture on here at the weekend.
by dodge on July 29, 2006 12:57 PM
Shirl

Yes it sure does look like heaven at your ranch.

Any animals?

dodge [party]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by gardeningmomma on July 29, 2006 02:44 PM
Your AV's are beautiful [flower] Thanks for sharing.
by gardeningmomma on July 29, 2006 03:31 PM
Another AV question- when do AV's flower? I have another one in a pot. It has lots of leaves, tons of new growth, but no blooms. It had lots of blooms when I brought it home, but was wondering if it was giving a fertilizer or something to force it to bloom.
Thanks [Wink]
by dodge on July 30, 2006 03:34 AM
Which window are they in?

Mine are in the south window Most are blooming.

dodge

-
 -
by ShirlS on July 30, 2006 04:59 AM
Dodge... Thanks! Well we have a cat ( our kitty) and then we have a cougar that likes to come sniffing around the place from time to time [scaredy] . Aside from the wildlife we do not plan on anymore animals ( except our kitty). Who knows though, I have been known to change my mind on things.

Thanks Gmomma! I have some really nice ones blooming right now ( from leaf starts) That I will try and get pictures of to add in the album. I have one called Straniero that is blooming in two different colors. Half the blooms are purple and the other are pink!

My Av's are on a table near a west window. They do not get direct light, but defused. I agree with Dodge, it well could be not enough light. Another thing to take into consideration is that there are periods of rest between bloom times.

Shirl

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by dodge on July 30, 2006 05:16 AM
Shirl

Correct......

They bloom and quit and take a rest and do it again.....Mine are at it now. ;o)

dodge

-
 -
by ShirlS on July 30, 2006 07:46 AM
This is the Av I was telling you about, that is blooming in 2 colors. Sorry for the pic quality but I still do not know how to work this camera, that has so many settings [dunno] ! Both blooms are on the same plant. I definately was not expecting that!

-

-

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by dodge on July 30, 2006 07:54 AM
Shirl

Very cute......Never seen those before.. I have some leaves growning in my space where I had the heating cable and they rooted like crazy.

Sand below with potting soil of any type they root.......First time here.

Your just a little bit out of focus on the photos. Maybe you came in too close...Mine is a Fuji

I dont know it all.but sure like it.

dodge

-
 -
by ShirlS on July 30, 2006 08:00 AM
Hi Dodge!

You are right, they definately like warmth! You are probably right about me being to close I was holding the pot in my hand in front of the camera. when it comes to picture taking I am definately not the sharpest pencil!! [Roll Eyes] I am a first time Av grower too!

Mine is a Canon, and I love it too. I just have to read how to get in for close detail shots better.

Shirl

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by dodge on July 30, 2006 09:00 AM
Shirl

Is it digital?

They are so much easier.....mine is ..

200 picture card etc...

cradle charger.

dodge

-
 -
by ShirlS on July 30, 2006 09:03 AM
Yep it is a digital. It just has so many things on it that I need to read the manual to do it right. But why read when one can go through the frustration of trying to figure it out eh? [Embarrassed]

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by gardeningmomma on July 30, 2006 09:27 AM
I never thought about the light. It's in the middle of my Kitchen, gets lots of indirect sunlight in the am. I think that I need to move it.

Your pictures are good. As Dodge said, you were maybe a little too close to your AV. However, I can still get a good look at your plant!
by dodge on July 30, 2006 09:35 AM
Shirl

Ha ha
You sound like me ......had mine a year and so far only figured out how to put it on macro.. ANd put the card in........I never take it out.

ha ha

Oh I delete too......
dodge

-
 -
by ShirlS on July 30, 2006 11:34 AM
[Big Grin] Dodge!!

Glad you are able to get a good look at the plant and the difference gardening momma

Have a wonderful day you 2!

Shirl

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by Triss on July 30, 2006 04:10 PM
That is very cool blooms! I wonder if it might be two plants?

-
 -
by ShirlS on July 30, 2006 04:15 PM
I don't think so. It only has one root system. I grew it from a leaf, it is one of the plantlets.

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by Triss on July 30, 2006 04:21 PM
That will be really cool if ALL the leaves do that then!

-
 -
by ShirlS on July 30, 2006 04:26 PM
Yeah I think it sure would be! This is a real slow grower compared to the others in producing mouse ears though. If you are a very good girl, and I get another that blooms like this one is, I will give it to you. I sent Sarah a baby, so when she gets back, hopefully she will have had blooms and we can see what color they turned out.

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by Triss on July 30, 2006 04:27 PM
That would be awesome!

-
 -
by Eniisa on July 30, 2006 07:46 PM
Hi everyone,
I bought an AV today, it's grown from a cutting, so I was wondering, can I make AV babies from it? Or does it have to be grown the normal way?

Sorry if I sound confusing!
by dodge on July 31, 2006 02:38 AM
It will multiply so fast you wont remember asking.

I suggest the southern window .I put my sheer curtain there and they love the protection.

dodge......Welcome to the AV club..Wonder if we influenced you????

[clappy] [clappy] [clappy] [clappy]

-
 -
by dodge on July 31, 2006 02:46 AM
shirl

What about us other good girls?? [dunno] [dunno]

I will show you some of mine.

Share some.

dodge

-
 -
by ShirlS on July 31, 2006 03:33 AM
Dodge!!

Of course I would not forget you! I just need to have more plants. As they grow I will let you know. it takes months though to grow the babies, so be patient with me! [kissies]

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by ShirlS on July 31, 2006 06:19 AM
Hi Eniisa

The plant should be an adult plant that you get the leaf from to make babies. If your plant is an adult plant then you can take one of the leaf's from it for babies. Take a leaf from the second row up ( from the bottom). Good luck!

Shirl

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by Deborah L. on July 31, 2006 06:35 AM
Here's something that surprised me a few years ago.
That you can grow a healthy, blooming AV in water, and add a few drops of AV food once in awhile. And the AV will grow like that for years.
My dear friend is Edna Comstock, a well known dahlia breeder. The Edna C. dahlia is named for her.
Edna grew African violets in WATER !!!! Edna is now 93, and it is no longer possible for her to remember how she did it, but I'm assuming that the violets I saw were starts from a leaf.
She used clothes pins to hold the leaves on the rim of the bowl the plants were in.
Edna is more than 40 years older than I am, but a dear friend to me.
I will never forget that first sight of healthy violets growing in water. [Love]

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on July 31, 2006 06:50 AM
Here is the AV that isn't blooming.
web page

Here is my new plantlet!
web page
by gardeningmomma on July 31, 2006 06:51 AM
With the new planlet, will the old leaf die off? It's starting to turn...
by dodge on July 31, 2006 10:17 AM
Deb...........

You tear me up...........
thats wonderful....
However I tried that some grew and some didnt.

right now i have 9 growing in regular starting soil..........

Dodge [flower] [flower] [flower]

-
 -
by dodge on July 31, 2006 10:19 AM
gardenmamma

Heck give that plant time to get a colony of leaves.........Still too little for blooms.. But looks healthy as heck..
b

-
 -
by ShirlS on July 31, 2006 01:12 PM
Hi gardeningmomma

I do have some advice for you on the Av's. The one that is not blooming looks like it is a pot that is to large for it to bloom right now. African violets like to be root bound in order to bloom, so I suggest transplanting it into a smaller pot to start with. The plant looks nice and healthy. The other thing ( I am not sure if you know or not) is that Av's do not like to have wet feet. So let the plants dry out between waterings. I would add some perlite to the potting soil you are using. Don't worry about feeding the violets at this point.

Both the leaf and plant look nice and healthy, so you should do just fine! cut away that brown stuff that is on the leaf ( carefully). It looks like it may be rot ( is it soft or crispy? I can't tell in the pic) you may want to put it into dry soil if the soil it is in is wet ( soaked)or let it dry out. [thumb]

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by Deborah L. on July 31, 2006 01:25 PM
Dodge, Edna probably did it with either a tiny new plant or a leaf just sprouting.
After I posted though, I suddenly remembered something- I'm pretty sure Edna told me that she dug out mature AVs, rinsed the dirt off the roots and stuck them in water because she had to go to the hospital and had no one to water her plants.
A vague memory from 4 years ago, but I think she did tell me that.

-
 -
by dodge on July 31, 2006 01:33 PM
Deb.............& Shirl

They say not to put water on the leaves?/

I grew some out in the rain....Last year .. they didnt die......??
Who is correct?/

dodge

-
 -
by ShirlS on July 31, 2006 01:53 PM
Hi Deborah,

[wavey] Interesting information about your friend. I have heard of people rooting Av's in water, but it is said the roots are weak. Interesting in any case. Thansk for sharing.

Dodge,

The reason it is said not to get water on the leaves of an av is because when sun shines on the water it acts as a magnifying glass and burns the leaf causing a spot.

The only method I have ever used is the potting soil/leaf method. I have been successful with it. So I say if it ain't broken, don't fix it [Big Grin]

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by Tonya on July 31, 2006 02:04 PM
Just throwing my 2 cents worth in here...

I have tried several times to grow AVs from a cutting (leaf) in soil and have been unsuccessful. I have always had luck with rooting them in water. I just pinch off a bottom leaf and stick in water and keep the water level up...takes a month or more, but I now have roots and plan to pot it up soon. Now if I can just get mine to bloom...I think I repotted it into a pot that was too large. I can wait! [thumb] [grin]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by ShirlS on August 01, 2006 05:32 AM
I have heard folks do grow them in water Tonya! Glad to hear you have been successful!

Shirl

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by Deborah L. on August 01, 2006 05:49 AM
Dodge, I've read that too, about not getting the leaves wet.
But they get so dusty that I sloosh them under lukewarm running water in the kitchen sink.
One thing I have learned for sure-AVs like warmish water. Both for watering and for their showers.
I let mine dry out before watering, and they seem to like that. Too moist and they get fungus-y and grayish.
I pat the leaves dry with a Kleenex after a shower.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on August 01, 2006 05:54 AM
Shirl,
I never get water on the leaves of even outdoor plants, trees, and shrubs in sunlight.
You're right on the money with the magnifying thing.

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on August 02, 2006 02:55 PM
Shirl,
Thanks for the advice. The black/brown spot is soft on the leaf. Do you think I should cut it off? Or leave it alone? I've been pretty good about letting them dry out a little before watering again. I will add some perlite this weekend. Thank you.

Dodge,
Will the colony of leaves just keep growing? At the moment, I seem to lose a leaf for everyone I gain!
Thank you! [Smile]
by dodge on August 02, 2006 03:25 PM
gardeningmomma,

they should get more an more leaves as the keep growing........

They will crowd the entire pot......

dodge

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on August 03, 2006 01:14 PM
Thanks Dodge!
by ShirlS on August 04, 2006 01:43 PM
You are more than welcome Gardeningmomma!

The most important thing is to have FUN! We will win some and lose some, but each is a learning experience.

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by Eniisa on August 10, 2006 07:56 PM
I tried with one leaf.. it's starting to die. It's the end of winter here but it's not very cold. My questions is do these leaves do better in the summer months when it's more humid?

Or would it be better to just start them off with water?
by Jimmy V on August 10, 2006 10:18 PM
this might help you. http://www.thegardenhelper.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/27/1683.html
I and some others have had real good luck using Sarah's method here. Good luck.

- Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says Keep it organic.
 - GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. Pray for our Troops! Jimmy's Photos
 - Jimmy's Blog
by dodge on August 11, 2006 12:59 AM
Yes they do better in the summer months......I have nine growing from leaves right in the soil.
Never did before.

dodge

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on August 11, 2006 01:52 AM
What kind of pots are you all using? I have mine in a ceramic pot that is made specifically for av's.
Thanks [grin]
This has been a really helpful topic.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: African Violet Fantasy Flowers?| Next thread: African Violet Help »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: