The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bonsai Help!!!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Bonsai Gardening Anyone?| Next thread: Bonsai help »
Back to Thread index
by carnivorousplantsarecool on July 24, 2006 09:04 AM
I got a Boxwood Bonsai tree a few weeks ago, and I've noticed that when i just barely touch a leaf, it falls off. I thought maybe the store that I bought it from let it dry out too much. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be great. Thanks
by SpringFever on July 24, 2006 10:06 AM
Are you keeping it outside?? How about watering.. Bonsai's need more water than a regular plant..

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by chenno on July 24, 2006 10:57 AM
Always wanted one...It is almost an art form...Rita do you have one?

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by carnivorousplantsarecool on July 24, 2006 01:47 PM
No, I'm keeping it inside with a lot of indirect sunlight and I'm watering it every few days. The card that came with it said to water it only every couple of weeks but I thought that sounded rediculous. Also, yeah it pretty much is an artform, there are different styles and everything, mine is the slanting style.
by joclyn on July 24, 2006 04:10 PM
bonsai IS an artform!

if it's a true bonsai, it's got specific watering requirements.

usually, you water ever couple of weeks by submersing the base in water. i used to put the planter in the kitchen sink and then fill it up. the water should cover the whole ceramic planter as well as whatever decorative things are on top of the soil and up to the base of the trunk. let soak for a good hour or two. release the water and let it drain for another hour and then put it back where you normally keep it.

there are lots of sites about bonsai...google for it so that you can get some more info
by tkhooper on July 25, 2006 12:16 AM
Bonsai and miniature roses are best kept outside. Good luck with yours. I've never been successful with them. Although I've lost a goodly amount of money trying.

-
 -
by Petra on July 25, 2006 02:46 AM
try this forum for bonsai help...

http://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=2a017f2d758a0c1b2a788415177ecaa1

the watering of the bonsai is the hardest part b/c you are not suppose to water according to any regiment. you basically water when the plant needs it. use a toothpick and stick it into the soil. pull it out to see if the soil is moist or dry. you will have to look up specific water requirements for your specific bonsai for how dry to allow the soil to get. follow the watering 3 times method. water it fully and make sure it has good drainage. water until the water drains from the bottom. then wait about 10-30mins, water again until it starts draining. wait another 10-30mins and repeat. this allows for the water to penetrate the soil and moisten every part. bonsai is typically an outdoor thing. only the tropical bonsai like ficus are really suitable for indoor growth.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bonsai Gardening Anyone?| Next thread: Bonsai help »
Back to Thread index