The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Prickly Pear Cactus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Prickly Pear| Next thread: Prime Rib ??? »
Back to Thread index
by Jeff Gates on December 27, 2005 07:09 AM
Hello Everyone, Happy Holidays!! Listen, way back when, I used to have a small patch of Prickly Pear type cactus that had beautiful yellow blooms, followed by red pear type fruit. I lived in Delaware at the time. I now live in Northern Maryland, just west of Delaware, and am having trouble finding any place that sells this type of cactus to grow in my flower bed along the house. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get this type of cactus, online or otherwise. Thanks. Jeff
by comfrey on December 27, 2005 01:23 PM
Jeff...I sent you a PM (personal message) Those grow wild here in Arkansas...The fruit is very sweet and good for making jelly also.

-
 -
by JV on December 27, 2005 11:03 PM
Jeff prickley pear pretty well gorws wild all throught the southwest and west. so just about anyone can send you some. Like comfrey said they grow wild in Arkansas and if I am not mistaken in Ms. and parts of Tn. also. Can send you some this spring for trade or sase if you like.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Jeff Gates on December 27, 2005 11:25 PM
Comfrey & JV, thanks so much for your help in locating some prickly pear cactus. I will be sure to let you both know what I am going to do come spring. I am either in zone 6 or 7, I can't really tell on the USDA plant hardiness map. The area I am in looks too blurry to tell the color. Either way, in the spring I will follow up with you. I did find some pink blooming kind from a link at davesgarden.com, it has a plant look up section. Thanks again for your help. [Smile]

Jeff

Jeff
by plants 'n pots on December 28, 2005 02:05 AM
Jeff - PM our crazy bird lady, afgreyparrot.
She usually has tons of them and loves to get rid of them!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by njoynit on December 29, 2005 05:31 AM
I have some nice size one too.I can send for shipping when yu are ready.these are the deep purple fruits and are sweet tasteing.

I'd be intrested in the name of the pink flowered one.

I also have a smaller growing prickly pear it still has yellow flowers,but grows lower and not as large as the other one....thats about 5 ft wide and 4 ft tall .....but I been shipping some of it to other states.
I also have seeds.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Prickly Pear| Next thread: Prime Rib ??? »
Back to Thread index