The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Stephanotis

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Stemmy Calla lilies| Next thread: sterilizing plants »
Back to Thread index
by emmarose on July 11, 2006 04:52 AM
Hi all [wavey]

You may remember a while ago I was looking for help with identifying a houseplant that someone had given me. General consensus at the time was that it was almost definitely a hoya carnosa, but after spotting a baby version of it at the weekend in my local supermarket, it turns out that its a Stephanotis.

I've googled it, but the results don't bring up much. Does anyone know anything about this plant, ideal growing conditions etc.? Any help would be appreciated.

Hope you're all keeping well.

Thanks,

Em

"Alcohol, the cause and solution to all of life's problems" - Homer Simpson
by nmlAlba-dC15 on July 12, 2006 06:02 PM
Hi emmarose...
i had a stephanotis once...loved its pretty simple flowers n beautiful fragrance...unfortunately it died out...i wasnt s avid a gardener s i m now..especially after joining this forum!

Think da following URL may b useful to u :
http://hibiscus-sinensis.com/tropical/stephanotis.htm
[wavey]

-
i believe that somewhere in da darkest night...a candle glows,
i believe for every drop of rain that falls...a flower grows....
by margaret e. pell on July 12, 2006 06:48 PM
Hoya carnosa and stephanotis are really different. Could you post a pic of it now? Please?

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Patty S on July 12, 2006 08:18 PM
Em, I don't know this first hand, but from what I've heard, stephanotis grows on vines (indoors or outdoors), doesn't like to be overwatered, will tolerate low temperatures (above freezing), & grows best in bright light/full sun. It's my understanding also, that as with many other plants (such as spider plants), stephanotis won't always flower unless its rootbound.

I guess I should check out the plants that come in to my local supermarkets, because I really, REALLY want a stephanotis & haven't been able to find one! (I live in a small town with only one plant nursery, & they tell me they never get stephanotis in, as there is no demand for it!)

Oh, one more thing... I read somewhere that that new stephanotis plants can be started from cuttings (but I don't know if they will root in water, or if they need to be in soil.) [dunno]

By the way, I looked around & found the post where you asked for help identifying your plant ...almost a year ago! [shocked] Don't stay away for so long!  - If you still have the plant & it's been happy with the way you've been caring for it so far, you must be doing something right! This place is full of friendly people who are willing to help (& we're always looking for help with our plants & gardens, too). We'd love to hear about what else is growing for you, & maybe you even have some ideas & gardening experiences that you could share with us! We're like 1 big family here, & would like to get to know you better!

Hope to see you again soon... & often!  -

-
 -
by emmarose on July 13, 2006 04:04 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for the posts (patty - I promise I'll post more often, have posted once or twice since but work is just way too busy for my liking these days [Frown] ! ).

I got the plant from my cousin - she got it as a present and had no idea what to do with it, and then as time went on and the vines wound round each other even more she was on the verge of throwing it out so I grabbed it off her before it hit the bin! I repotted it into a bigger pot (its definitely not rootbound) and put a 6ft moss stick into the pot to wind the vines round it - myself and mum couldn't believe the length of some of the vines as we started to untangle them. I'm getting a lot of new leaves but no flowers - although from Patty's post I'm now suspecting that the reason for this is that pot is too big. The leaves near the bottom are starting to turn a yellowy colour - the leaf itself isn't withering, its just the actual colour, so I might not be watering it enough.

Its such a lovely plant and I hope to be able to get it to flower because the flowers look gorgeous!

Thanks again!

Em

"Alcohol, the cause and solution to all of life's problems" - Homer Simpson
by Patty S on July 13, 2006 10:07 AM
quote:
the leaf itself isn't withering, its just the actual colour, so I might not be watering it enough.
 - Hmmm... or, you may be watering it too much! (My Spider & Red Ginger plants will start turning yellow/brown when they're overwatered.) It's not unusual for some leaves to die off after repotting, so maybe it's nothing to be alarmed about, if you've done it recently. [dunno]

I hear that they'll get around 10 feet tall when they're allowed to grow straight up, so I wasn't surprised to hear that you found really long vines when you unwound them!

I can't wait to get my hands on one of those plants... meanwhile, I like hearing about yours! (Got pictures?) Please don't love it to death! [Big Grin]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Stemmy Calla lilies| Next thread: sterilizing plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: