The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

divided and potted peace lily...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: dissapointing chili/pepper| Next thread: dividing a cat palm »
Back to Thread index
by Petra on July 03, 2006 06:47 PM
i just divided off a small chunk of an existing peace lily and potted it into a small 4-5" pot. i potted and gave it some water and let it drain out through the bottom. then i placed it in some late afternoon sun. when i came home it was all droopy and dead looking. what can i do to make sure that my peace lily survives this division and repotting?
by TulsaRose on July 03, 2006 11:37 PM
Hi Petra...welcome to the forum. [Smile] Try keeping the cutting in a shaded area until it has started some new growth. It's been my experience with Peace Lilies to give them lots of bright light but not in direct sun as that will cause leaf burn.

You might want to check out this website for care instructions...
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1512.htm

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by gardeningmomma on July 04, 2006 02:09 AM
Great site [Smile] Thanks for posting the link
by Bill on July 04, 2006 02:16 AM
by Petra on July 04, 2006 05:42 AM
thanx for the info and links. they were very helpful [Big Grin]
by Petra on July 07, 2006 02:27 PM
update: the peace lily is still very very droopy... i took it and put it in a shadey place but still with some indirect sunlight. i also pour a little bit of water in it whenever the soil is dry. it seems to be stronger and not limp and the leaves are actually hovering slightly over the edge of the pot instead of just slumped on it [Big Grin]

thanx for the help all [Big Grin]
by gardeningmomma on July 07, 2006 03:12 PM
Sounds like it will be okay then [thumb]
by flowerguesser on July 16, 2006 07:21 AM
Peace lillies do not respond well to being watered from the top. Try placing a pan under the pot with water in it as a way to water peace lillies.

Carla
by Mrs.Bradley on July 16, 2006 07:39 AM
I disagree,respectfully flowerguesser.
I always water mine from the top, being careful not to wet the leaves and it is very happy.

-
 -
by DowntoEarth on July 16, 2006 10:15 AM
I usually will wipe the leaves with a slightly moistened soft rag, or put it under a gentle spray (not full force) from the shower to get the dust off at watering time, the leaves bend down some from the water weight, but they alway spring back when dry.

Susan
by gardeningmomma on July 17, 2006 07:18 AM
I have always watered mine from the top and it seems to be okay with it. Maybe I've been doing it wrong all this time??? Do peace lilies flower? I have had mine for a few years now and this year it has two stalks growing in it and they appear to be buds!?!
by DowntoEarth on July 17, 2006 07:31 AM
gardeningmomma,

I think your doing just fine with your peace lily, seems very happy and yes, they do flower! They are white, sometimes green and resemble calla lilies.
by Petra on July 18, 2006 02:55 AM
my peace lily has recovered. it is standing upright and the stems are firm and green instead of limp and light yellow green.

i have been watering sparingly as not to overwater and allow for the roots to develop.

how does watering from the bottom work? if the roots are not plentiful enough, will they be able to get water from placing on a pan of water? and if they do, won't this cause root rot since it will be constantly wet?

ive been misting my peace lily also. is that bad? and should i stop?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: dissapointing chili/pepper| Next thread: dividing a cat palm »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: