The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Avacado anyone?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: avacado and ginger plants| Next thread: Avacado Leaves browning »
Back to Thread index
by Tulip on June 21, 2006 09:26 AM
Hi All.. I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried to grow an avacado plant from a pitt.. I look up how to do it on the inernet.. and I finally have something comming up! I guess I should cover the whole pitt now.. the info I got said to keep the top of it open from soil so it will grow.. it seems to have grown from the bottom and found its own way up...

~Tulip~
by Bill on June 21, 2006 09:44 AM
by Tulip on June 23, 2006 12:43 PM
Thanks for the spelling tip! have you ever grown one? I guess its safe to cover the whole pitt up now hey? do you know what kind of light and water they like?

thanks

~Tulip~
by gardeningmomma on June 25, 2006 01:28 AM
Tulip, click on the blue avocado word that Bill typed, it will take you to a page about avocados.
My father in law has several pots of avocados that he started last Spring. They did really well until he put them outside- they don't like full strength sunlight! He had to bring them inside as they wilted and lost a few leaves. That was a few weeks ago and they appear to be better now. Other than that, I don't think he does anything special with them.
Good Luck!
by Jiffymouse on June 25, 2006 01:51 AM
gardeningmomma, the avocados will do ok outside (they make beautiful shade trees when they are large enough and far enough south) but they have to be "hardened off" if they have been grown indoors.
by Amany on June 25, 2006 01:44 PM
About a week ago I read a posting somewhere by a person who submerges the entire pit in water until the roots form. And then plants it. I've been thinking of trying that.
by gardeningmomma on June 25, 2006 03:24 PM
Amany, That's how my in-laws started them.
Jiffymouse, Thanks for the info- I'll let FIL know [Embarrassed]
by Tulip on June 26, 2006 03:58 AM
Thats how I started this.. actually I put toothpicks in the bottom.. so the bottom half is just in the water.. it took like 3 weeks to a month but I got a great root.. then I put it in the soil

~Tulip~
by Amany on July 02, 2006 04:31 PM
I've decided to grow one of these too. When it's time to move it to soil, is potting soil with a little perlite added ok?
by tkhooper on July 03, 2006 05:51 AM
That will work just fine.

-
 -
by jbaby7162000 on August 17, 2006 01:20 AM
hello now did youlet the pit dry before trying this?

joanne
by papito on August 17, 2006 02:35 AM

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/avocado.html

quote:
Starting seeds
The avocado tree (Persea americana), when grown by a hobby gardener is normally grown from seeds removed from ripened fruit. There are two acceptable methods of doing this, either by sprouting the seed in water or by actually planting the seed in soil.
Many people start avocado trees as novelty house plants by piercing the seed with its pointed end up, partially through with toothpicks on three or four sides to hold it on the top of a jar or vase partly with water and few pieces of charcoal (to keep the water sweet) just covering the base. In 2 to 6 weeks, when roots and leaves are well formed the plant is set in potting soil. Unless they're moved into soil within a few weeks or months after germination, they'll begin to deteriorate.
They are also easily sprouted in a well-drained 4- or 5-inch pot of porous, fertile soil. The top of the seed should just barely peek above the surface of the soil. If the soil is kept fairly moist and the temperature is between 60 and 70 degrees, the seed will begin to sprout and a pretty, leafy plant will develop.
When the seedling reaches 12 inches, it should be pinched back to about 6-8 inches to produce a rounder, fuller plant. Avocados grown inside thrive in sun or in a good, lighted location. Once they've filled their pots up with healthy roots, they should be potted in larger ones. Repotting should be done in the spring. Well-rooted plants should be given a dilute liquid fertilizer every week or two. Watering should be done so that the soil never becomes really dry but isn't ever soggy and waterlogged. They should be fertilized with a balanced houseplant food every two or three weeks in the summer and about every six weeks during the winter. It's also a good idea to mist the leaves of your Avocado if the air in your home is very dry. Indoor trees need low night temperatures to induce bloom. Transplanting should be done in early spring. Potted plants should be moved outdoors gradually, so they can acclimatize themselves, and adjust to the new elements.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: avacado and ginger plants| Next thread: Avacado Leaves browning »
Back to Thread index