The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

and they were looking so pretty...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by flwrgrdnmom on June 20, 2006 08:42 AM
I have a rabbit's foot fern and a maranta that are having problems right now. The fern is growing new fronds on it, but some are turning yellow. I've been letting it get dry to the touch before I water it, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The maranta (prayer plant) has about half it's leaves curling up dry and crispy. Again, not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas???
by Jiffymouse on June 20, 2006 03:13 PM
i think the fern is getting a little too dry. the prayer plant, i'd need more info. but sounds like a bug problem if it is only half it's leaves.
by flwrgrdnmom on June 20, 2006 03:58 PM
So yellow leaves can mean dryness? I thought that meant too much water! [perplexed] As for bugs, there are none to be found. The leaves closest to the wall just dry up. That's actually happening on 2 of my marantas. They are within a foot of the rabbits fern, in the main bathroom. I'm wondering if they're not getting enough humidity? I'm afraid to overwater things though... that's how I used to kill everything! LOL
Thanks for the help!
by flwrgrdnmom on July 02, 2006 01:36 AM
Well, I've upped the watering on the fern and it's looking much better. The prayer plant is steadily losing leaves though even though I've watered it a little more and misted the leaves daily. I'm going to take a picture now of it.
by Jiffymouse on July 02, 2006 01:52 AM
don't mist the leaves of the prayer plant. they don't need it. i'm wondering though, are you sure it is a maranta? there is a plant that looks very similar called a calathia that needs a LOT more water and will dry up like that. try giving it more water.
by flwrgrdnmom on July 02, 2006 03:33 AM
here's the picture of it. Any ideas??
Thanks!
 -
by flwrgrdnmom on July 02, 2006 03:34 AM
Oh, ok! Maybe it is a calathia then... I'll back off the misting, and just keep it fairly wet.
Thanks!

Active Garden Forum