The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Starting african violets from leaves 101

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 1 2
by barleychown on January 06, 2006 01:49 PM
Happy to drag other along with me! [grin] [tongue]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by Triss on January 07, 2006 11:16 AM
Well it is a bit warmer where you are than where I am Jimmy. I was assured we would get a lot of them mid Feb though so that is good. Nowhere in town that I have been to has them, so I am sad.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by comfrey on January 07, 2006 01:34 PM
Way to go Jimmy!!!! Well after reading the whole topic...I guess I am going to have get some av...It is gentic anyway as my mom has ALOT of av and her mother before and her mother before her, My Wal Mart doesn't have any out yet, and I don't know anyone around here that grows them, so will have to wait until one of the stores has some out. Thanks barleychown...It may become a new addiction for me also, once I get a plant or two to play with, or if I go to visit my mother who lives in an adjoining state. If I get starts from my mom it is a 4-5 hour drive, how do I transport the starts
so they will make it home????

-
 -
by barleychown on January 07, 2006 02:04 PM
I usually wrap mine in a barely damp paper towel and put them in a ziplock baggie. They will be okay that way for a day or two at least. [thumb]

-
 -

by comfrey on January 07, 2006 02:42 PM
Ok..Thanks barleychown I need to visit my mom anyway and she has so many different kinds, I could proable load up at her house, I just have to remeber to label the baggies, she has all colors. In the meantime I am going to look at the containers that Jimmy got at WalMart, they sound like a good deal and within my budget, So Thank You Jimmy for posting that info as well!!!

-
 -
by SandieR on January 08, 2006 08:29 AM
HI,

I am really enjoying this thread but have a question. Many moons ago, when I did AV in abundance, I always started my leaves in straight vermiculite and wick watered. Do you find they do better by putting them in the soil mixture? I have ordered some leaves and a few starter plants. I will post my results if there are any.

Always looking for better ways.

Thanks
by Triss on January 08, 2006 09:04 AM
"wick watered" I have never heard that term. What is it?

-
 -
by SandieR on January 08, 2006 10:01 AM
I use white yarn and, first making sure it is wet, run it thru the bottom hole of the pot. Easier to do if you put the yarn in the pot first then add your medium. I set the little pot on top of a jar or container of water and the wick pulls the water up into the pot as its needed. I have always watered my violets this way.
by Triss on January 08, 2006 10:37 AM
That is clever. Thanks for the explanation.

-
 -
by comfrey on January 08, 2006 12:39 PM
I called my mother today and ask her about how many av she had etc...once she seen I was interested she said .."Oh I have alot of ones already started that you can have when you can come up for a visit" Then she went on to tell me all of the extra special ones she had and she knew I would need them also..... [Frown] Sigh...looks like as soon as I can go up there, I will come home with loads of av...Now where to put all of those little pots when I get them...She also pointed out that if I didn't have a good location they would do fine under a florescent light....Sigh [Frown] I can see it now...a large full length shelves lining the wall with lights hanging on them full of av.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [flower] [flower] [flower]

-
 -
by JV on January 08, 2006 10:53 PM
Comfrey if you run out of room you can always send them to Texas. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I have shelves in every room I can get them in. That is the only good thing about being single. [Big Grin]
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by comfrey on January 09, 2006 10:34 AM
Jimmy I am sure after I make the trip to my mom's I will have more then enough and I want to try starting some of my own, so I am sure there will be some to offer to whom ever wants them...My mom told me about two different one which are different according to her: The first one is a double pink one which she said is a harder one to find and the other one she recieved as a leaf start from her beauty operator, she was told it was a white one...but from the single leaf it made to separate plants one being white and the other was white with a purple edge on it...She said that sometimes a plant will revert back to what ever the mother plant was, but in this case she ending up with two different plants from one leaf start. Anyway she has all colors and sizes and leaf types, I am planning to go sometime before I start my seeds the first of March....In other words this month or next month for sure and stay for 4 days.

-
 -
by barleychown on January 09, 2006 12:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SandieR:
HI,

I am really enjoying this thread but have a question. Many moons ago, when I did AV in abundance, I always started my leaves in straight vermiculite and wick watered. Do you find they do better by putting them in the soil mixture? I have ordered some leaves and a few starter plants. I will post my results if there are any.

Always looking for better ways.

Thanks

Hi there Sandie R. [wavey]

I have tried wick watering, and while I have had good results with my mature plants, I never did get the "feel" of doing it with leaves or starter size...I always had them too wet or too dry. With the soil mix, and having them under a dome, I almost never have to worry about moisture levels.

Please do let us know how it works for you! [thumb]

You know, I have also heard of people who have run out of space hanging a line across a window and starting leaves in a ziplock baggie with a little soil in it. I guess there are probably as many ways to start them as there aare people that grow them.

I say if you find a system that works for you, stick to it! [grin]

-
 -

by SandieR on January 09, 2006 02:05 PM
When I get my leaves in, I think I'll try them both in the vermiculite with wick watering and also some in soil under a dome. I'll let you know what the difference turns out if any.

You know, the little plastic things that you get at McDonalds with their sundaes are perfect for the smaller leaves as they come with their own domes. I guess I need to eat more sundaes [clappy]
by barleychown on January 09, 2006 10:22 PM
Now there is a positive way to look at things! [Big Grin]

-
 -

by mrsmessy on January 11, 2006 11:54 PM
This is terrific information. How many leaves can you remove from a mature plant without damaging it?

-
Bev
by Triss on January 12, 2006 02:44 AM
Good question.

-
 -
by jdepoy11 on January 13, 2006 01:25 AM
I have an av in an Av pot, it seems to make an amazing difference. The pot is basically a bowl that you fill with water and then the pot the av is in is just 'ceramic' on teh bottom so it pulls the water through to the dirt. When I moved my mature av from it's walmart pot to the av pot I bet it grew twice the size in about a month. I love the watering wick idea! Thanks! I'm really excited to start some babies!
by Triss on January 13, 2006 01:39 AM
I have not seen a pot like that. I was thinking of getting some of the new ones I saw that you pour the water into the bottom for watering purposes.

-
 -
by Amber Petersen on January 13, 2006 02:46 AM
Well, I 'planted' my leaves last night...not sure how it's all going to work out, but I've giving it a go. I have 2 AV's already but they were given to me, and I'm afraid that she may ask for them back when she moves back into the area...hopefully not, but if all goes well, I will have my own little plants. I'm SO glad this topic was started. It's kinda fun too...

-
Amber
by Triss on January 13, 2006 05:31 AM
Good luck with the growing Amber. be sure and let us know how they are doing.

-
 -
by JV on January 13, 2006 09:21 AM
These are my AV's I bought last week please excuse the wobbly look I was.
 -
 -
 -
Unexpected drop in blood Sugar while standing on a chair taking photo's is not very good.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by comfrey on January 13, 2006 11:50 AM
Those are very pretty Jimmy...are you (or did you) do leaf cuttings from these yet????

-
 -
by Amber Petersen on January 14, 2006 12:32 AM
I have a ruffled leaved one, I used 3 of the leaves...do you think it will grow as well? It shouldn't make a difference should it?

-
Amber
by JV on January 14, 2006 01:02 AM
Yes Comfrey I got leaf cuttings off of htese as well Carolyne gave me three leafs off three other plants. Amber I am sorry Barley will have to give you and answer as I am a new addict to AV's [Big Grin] But seems to me they should root and make babies. Mebe after we get this down we can trade leaves Amber would love to have leaves from a ruffled one. Maybe I will have something by then you will like.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by JV on January 14, 2006 06:10 AM
Here are 3 shots of my starter leaves a week laTER. Are they looking like they should? They look good to me.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by JV on January 14, 2006 09:50 PM
Guess better try again here we go I hope
 -
 -
 -
Same plants different shot.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by plants 'n pots on January 15, 2006 02:10 AM
Lookin' real good to me, Jimmy! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Triss on January 15, 2006 02:39 AM
Looking good so far Jimmy!

-
 -
by comfrey on January 15, 2006 11:17 AM
Wow Jimmy you really did get the av addition!!! They look great.

-
 -
by barleychown on January 15, 2006 08:25 PM
Great looking leaves ya got there, Jimmy! [grin]

-
 -

by JV on January 15, 2006 11:56 PM
Thanks glad to know I did this right so far.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Amber Petersen on January 17, 2006 12:27 AM
I'm not sure if you covered this or not, but how much and how often are you guys watering?

-
Amber
by ShirlS on January 17, 2006 08:57 AM
I put up named leaves back in Sept. It took about 3 months for the babys to show up ( some longer, some less). So, patience is definately a virtue with this. [perplexed]

Something that worked very well for me was to make a terrerium environment for the leaves. It ensured I would not over water them. I used Ziplock bags, put a couple of planted leaves in each one and away we went. I watered before I placed in ( not drowned), the humidity in the ziplock worked like a mini rainforest. I am also using a sheet cake container. One that my SD's birthday cake came in. It works wonderfully too!

Shirl

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by JV on January 17, 2006 11:21 AM
Amber mine are bottom watered. I put water in the palstic container you see and they take up what they need I check in about twice a week to make sur eof the water.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Amber Petersen on January 17, 2006 11:23 PM
Jimmy- I just seen your post now (there's so many pages I keep missing stuff) I'm having some trouble with my ruffled leaved AV (not the leaves I'm rooting- the plant I took them from) so i'm REALLY hoping this works, cos the ruffled AV I've got is pretty sick, and I've done all I can think to do to it, so we'll see if she makes it!

-
Amber
by Amber Petersen on January 17, 2006 11:23 PM
But if she makes it, or if the leaves grow into bigger ones, I would GLADLY give you a few leaves!

-
Amber
by Amber Petersen on January 17, 2006 11:27 PM
A couple of my leaves I can water from the bottom (as I have them in a plastic container thing too) and I think I might do as Shirl suggested and put the other few in ziplock bags, cos I REALLY gotta make some of these work, since my big AV's I overfertilized, and I think only one may make it!

-
Amber
by jdepoy11 on January 19, 2006 02:02 AM
So if I use the little 'condiment' cups and poke holes in the bottom and then place those cups in a 'cake pan' I should pour the water into the cake pan and not into the little cups. Right?. : ) Then put the lid on the cake pan to make the terrium/rain forrest effect. Next Q.. I have a terrerium with tree frogs and such.. do you think that I could put a few of the small cups in there? The leaves wouldn't be toxic if on the frogs decided to eat it would they? I don't think they would, but I don't want to hurt teh frogs or the plants. Thanks for teh input.. I'm really looking forward to this!
by barleychown on January 19, 2006 03:01 AM
The leaves really do not need to be watered much until you can see babies...until then the idea is to keep the soil barely moist, because if you get it too wet the leaves will rot.

That is why the greenhouse effect of the cake pan works so well...it keeps the leaves from drying out, yet doesn't keep them too wet.

I'm not sure if AV'a are toxic or not...maybe if you google it? [dunno]

-
 -

by JV on January 19, 2006 05:57 PM
jdepoy11 I did a google search on African Violet Toxic leaves took me to the American Cat Assoc. web page and they have a bunch of non toxic plants listed for your home. You might try that and see. Also what is your frogs diet? Are they native to where this plant grows in the wild? A lot of things to consider. I go by if it is not good for human babies it is not good for any baby.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by comfrey on January 20, 2006 07:51 AM
Well my Walmart finally got av and I just couldn't wait until the middle of Febuary to have at least one...So I brought home my first av today here is what it looks like (Now if I can just keep it alive):

-
 -

-
 -
by Marian on January 20, 2006 08:01 AM
Very pretty , Comfrey . I hope it does well for you .
I bought one from WalMart last year . It has white blooms with a purple edge and/or purple blotches . I couldn't resist getting it .

-
by comfrey on January 20, 2006 09:28 AM
I would have bought the one that was white with purple edges, but my mom has one for me already. I am going to visit her right after Valentines day and she is going to load me up on av, but I just couldn't wait to get one. She has tons of them.

-
 -
by JV on January 20, 2006 09:57 AM
Comfrey those are very pretty.
Sarah do I need to not put water in t his container then just keep check make sure not drying out?
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by barleychown on January 20, 2006 12:07 PM
That would be a good plan, Jimmy! [thumb]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: