The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Is it worth it to winterize my geraniums for next spring?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Is it upside down?| Next thread: Is It Yellow? »
Back to Thread index
by murphyette on November 17, 2005 12:37 AM
My geraniums grew so large and beautiful this year, I hate to just let them die. I am in zone 5. I have heard you can overwinter them in the basement, but I wonder if they come back very well the following spring?

Jody
by netty on November 17, 2005 03:37 AM
I have been saving my geraniums for 3 years now. I pull them from the soil, trim the tops back and put them in my dark basement in a paper bag. I check on them starting about the end of Ferbruary and when I see new green growth I pot them back up. They are growing beautifully by the time I plant my annuals in May. I think it's worth it!

-
 -
by murphyette on November 17, 2005 08:07 PM
So...paper bag...no water at all all winter?

Jody
by netty on November 18, 2005 04:03 AM
Nope! No water! They magically let me know when it's time to pot them up again. Just remember to check on them and plant them as soon as you see the new shoots starting. I forgot about some once and they turned crispy! Oops

-
 -
by Bess of the Piedmont on November 19, 2005 12:45 AM
If they have grown too large, it is very, very easy to root cuttings. Just make a cut below one of the segmented sections and put it in a glass of water in a cool, dim room for a couple of weeks and it roots! (I usually do several cuttings to ensure success, just in case.)

I have some pink geraniums that my mother-in-law gave me before she died in 1998. They grew too huge and gangly so I rooted cuttings and still have them blooming today to remind me of her.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Is it upside down?| Next thread: Is It Yellow? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: