The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Good soil

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Good snails| Next thread: good soil for growing fruit »
Back to Thread index
by syl726 on February 11, 2004 04:24 PM
I'd like to know some of your soil preferences. Some that I purchase seem to end up looking like mud [Frown]
The last ones I got was Miracle-Gro and another by Scott's that was a 3-in-1 blend. I guess what I'm looking for the most is good drainage.
Maybe it looking like mud isn't such a big deal after all. [thinker]
by Flower on February 11, 2004 04:43 PM
Hi sly.....

There sure are a lot of products out there....some certainly are better than others. I think you have to try a few to find which one you like best...at a good price.

I use "Sunshine" mostly. I use a #3 or a #4 for my seed starting....but there is also an all purpose one that seems good for repotting.

Keep in mind that you can make your own....or even just add organic matter to lighten the mix you already have. (I do that a lot....with bargin bags)

A simple mix for seed starting can be like this...(really good drainage)

Seed Starting

4 parts peat
2 parts perlite
2 parts vermiculite

-
by Newt on February 11, 2004 09:11 PM
Hi Sly,
I agree with Flower. I usually purchase an inexpensive potting soil, a bag of perlite and a bag of vermiculite and mix it up myself.

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by Will Creed on February 14, 2004 10:32 PM
For most indoor plants, a soilless, peat-based potting mix is best. Such a mix is sterile, porous and retains water very well. It is also clean to handle and much less prone to bacterial and fungal problems. If possible, avoid mixes with pine bark mixed in as this is a favorite of fungus gnats.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Good snails| Next thread: good soil for growing fruit »
Back to Thread index