The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Chinese evergreen

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Chinese evergreen| Next thread: Chinese evergreen »
Back to Thread index
by Rosepetal on June 14, 2006 08:34 AM
Does anyone have a chinese evergreen? I bought one and am wondering what it will look like after awhile, mine's still small, but so pretty.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by joclyn on June 14, 2006 08:44 AM
i've got 2...they're both kind of small at this point.

i did notice some new growth recently. here's what they looked like a couple of months ago - i still haven't put them in soil (really need to get to that!)

-

i'm not sure how large they get...mine, so far, haven't been the quickest growers - the new growth i just noticed is the first since i've had them (which is about 7 months).
by gomerp618 on June 14, 2006 09:47 AM
I have some of them that are very long and quite gangly looking (about 3 feet tall), I need to cut the tops off and start over. My brother found a huge pot of them last year outside an abandoned house.

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!
by Rosepetal on June 14, 2006 10:51 AM
 -

Here is my plant. It looks different then yours joclyn, but there may be other kinds too.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by gomerp618 on June 14, 2006 11:07 AM
That last pic looks like a dieffenbachia Camilla. I have one just like it, at least that's what the tag on mine said when I bought it.. hmmmm.

here's a pic of it I found online
http://www.indoor-plant-care.com/indoor_plant.asp?title=Dieffenbachia+camilla%2CDumb+Cane%2C+Spotted+dumb+cane%2C+Gold%2Ddieffenbachia%2C&item=plant_details&id_slika=dieffenbachia_ camilla&id_razred=12&id=477

by Rosepetal on June 15, 2006 05:12 AM
Thanks gomer, I think you're right. [thumb]

When I bought this plant it was in the chinese evergreen section, so I tho't it was that plant.

Thanks for the info'. [Smile]

-
 -
by Rosepetal on June 15, 2006 05:17 AM
How big is yours now?

-
 -
by gomerp618 on June 19, 2006 06:52 AM
Mine is close to the same height as yours looks in the pictures, but the leaves haven't gotten as big.. it has some new plants growing in the pot right now though. It would probably be doing better, but I put it in the spare room of my house and forgot about it for a long time, hardly remembering to water it. I brought it into the living room now and it's doing better.

by gardeningmomma on June 19, 2006 08:37 AM
Your plant looks really healthy! I have two that I bought a few months ago. One has lots of new growth.. I can't wait to see how they look at the end of the season [Wink]
by darlene87 on June 21, 2006 09:23 PM
I have about 4 of these. When they get quite tall and lose all the bottom leaves and get leggy, I cut the stem off close to the bottom. Then I stick the cut top off in qt. jars of water. They grow roots, which then they can be replanted. I have 3 qt. jars full of the cut off ones with a lot of roots, and the jars are put in lovely vases. Once a mo. I change the water, and give a small dose of fertilizer. Some of them have been in water for 3 yr. now. Where you cut off the plant on the mother plant in soil, it will grow a new shoot.
Darlene
by Rosepetal on June 23, 2006 03:39 AM
Thanks Darlene

It's good to know this, I've never had this polant before.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Chinese evergreen| Next thread: Chinese evergreen »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: