The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I need Venus Fly Trap advice

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Jezuz on November 07, 2005 06:56 AM
I am new here and I just recently bought a Venus Fly Trap. They are in poor condition at least it looks that way. I was wondering if I should put it outside so it can go dormant for winter. I don't think it would be to cold for it because I live in Arizona or is it?
by Jiffymouse on November 07, 2005 07:14 AM
the question is does it snow where you are? and how dry will it be. those are the biggest questions.
by Jezuz on November 07, 2005 07:29 AM
I live in phoenix and right now it only gets about 50 degrees and the coldest is probably in January around 20-30 degrees. I was wondering if I should let it go dormant because I checked the Internet to see what I should do and it said to let it go dormant during the winter time. I just wanted to see if by me letting it go dormant it can recuperate in the spring.
by Jiffymouse on November 07, 2005 07:36 AM
well, it will definitly need to go dormant, but i am not sure about the putting it outside part. you probably want to google the site (there is a box near the top of the page for that) to see the other posts on fly traps. there is a lot of good info here.
by Jezuz on November 07, 2005 07:46 AM
In my house it is about 70 80 degrees right now and all through winter and I dont think the vft will go dormant at that temperature and the only place where it is cool is outside.
by Jiffymouse on November 07, 2005 07:47 AM
you are right, it probably won't go dormant inside.
by Jezuz on November 07, 2005 12:02 PM
Ill just put it in my laundry room because during the winter it gets colder than the house but warmer than outside about 40-55 degrees. I done think that will harm it. once it goes dormant it looses its leaves right? what do I do when it becomes spring. should I let the stem and flowers grow and leave it outside to get pollenated? Because I want to have more seeds to grow more vft's.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: