The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

spots on hoya?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Spots| Next thread: Spots on hydrangeas »
Back to Thread index
by plants 'n pots on June 09, 2006 03:49 AM
I have these otherwise very healthy and growing hoya cuttings, but they have white flat spots on them ever since I can remember. It doesn't appear to be bugs, isn't fuzzy, or raised at all, and comes off with a bit of coaxing or scraping gently with my fingernail.

Anyone know what it is? At first I thought it was just variegation, but they do come off, so they are on the surface. Then I thought maybe water stains, but I've been pretty careful about not getting water on the leaves...

Anyone?
 -
(sorry about the fuzzy picture - it's the best this cheapo camera would do!)

Also... does this plant want to spend the summer outdoors here in zone 6? If so, which exposure?

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by joclyn on June 09, 2006 04:57 AM
i'm new to hoyas (in fact, the cutting i just received isn't doing well at all).

from just basic knowledge it sounds like a some type of fungus to me. i'm not familiar enough with hoya, yet, to know what they are prone to. you could wipe the leaves down with a light mix of water/dish soap. also, some rubbing alcohol on a q-tip and rubbed over the spots wouldn't hurt either.

what type of hoya is that one? it's a really nice looking plant!!
by plants 'n pots on June 09, 2006 05:23 AM
Thanks, joclyn!

Good idea about rubbing it down with alcohol - I'd love to know what the spots are first if anyone knows?

I believe this is hoya carnosa - I got cuttings from a generous forum member last fall.

OK THEN - look at this!!!
I just did a search to make sure that I was giving joclyn the correct info about which hoya it is, and look at this picture I found!!! This is what my leaves look like!!! I found it on a few more in my google image search too - so I guess it's not a problem afterall!

hoya carnosa

-
 -
by margaret e. pell on June 10, 2006 01:04 AM
I put my hoya out for the summer under a tree. It's in bright but full shade and loves it.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by DowntoEarth on June 10, 2006 10:50 AM
It looks like my carnosa which has spots, and or streaks of silver.

carnosa
by angelblossom on June 11, 2006 07:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by plants 'n pots:
[QB

OK THEN - look at this!!!
I just did a search to make sure that I was giving joclyn the correct info about which hoya it is, and look at this picture I found!!! This is what my leaves look like!!! I found it on a few more in my google image search too - so I guess it's not a problem afterall!

hoya carnosa [/QB]
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] I wish I had seen this when you posted the first time I could had told you the same thing when I got mine as a cutting (a long time ago)it didn't have those spots. As it grew and matured the spots became more defined and noticeable, so I did a search also and found your answer too,, Now aren't you glad you didn't scratch them off too harshly?? [lala] It's kinda like trying to scrape freckles off of your skin [shocked] [scaredy] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by joclyn on June 11, 2006 02:16 PM
hey, i REALLY like this hoya (even with the spots [Smile] )!

would anyone be interested in a trade? i've got purple iris or magenta gladiola in exchange for a cutting.
by plants 'n pots on June 12, 2006 03:28 AM
joclyn... mine only has 3 sets of leaves so far - it's a baby, so I'm afraid I can't take any cutting of it yet...

Thanks for all the responses!
It's just very odd, that the spots do rub off if you scratch at them even lightly, so they don't appear to be an integral part of the plants - wonder what causes this...?

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on June 12, 2006 11:15 AM
lynne, could it be scale? they start out light colored like that (i discovered the hard way with my rubber plant at work [Mad] )

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Spots| Next thread: Spots on hydrangeas »
Back to Thread index