The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Protecting for winter

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by murphyette on November 03, 2005 04:09 AM
I am in MI(zone..6?) and have never mulched anything over for the winter. I did cover my roses with styrofoam things so far, and cut back the peonies and piled some leaves on them. What about the rest of my garden? I don't have anything horribly fragile...perennial hibiscus, dianthus, liatrus, black eyed susans, butterfly bush, hollyhocks, bachelors buttons,lavendar, malva, mums and some other stuff I can't think of right now, LOL...should I be covering this stuff up with something more than just letting the leaves stay in the flowerbeds?

Jody
by plants 'n pots on November 03, 2005 04:28 AM
Hi murph! [wayey]

I don't have the answer, but just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed looking at your album. Great plants,cute kitties, and wow! You are doing a terrific job on your house - I LOVE the renovations you've done so far!

Thanks for sharing... Lynne

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by BFVISION on November 03, 2005 09:51 AM
Murphette,
As a fellow zone 6er, sounds like we have similar beds. I leave the mulching for the spring, cut back most perrenials now, leave the butterfly bush till spring and leave the BE susans for the birds to pick on during the winter. Just cut them back in early spring.
Good Luck

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: