The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I am killing my purple passion! help!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by rosiejane on June 03, 2006 12:15 PM
So I'm killing a plant that most everyone else says is easy to grow! Almost all my leaves & stems have dried up and shrivveled & the stem became a bit gooey when I tried braeaking off the dead part....

I bought my purple passion at Home Depot. Brought it home and transplanted it fairly soon into a basic house plant mix and into a metal (copper?) pot. Perhaps this is the problem? doesn't like the metal? or it has sensitive roots that didn't take to the transplanting very well?
Also, (and this is probly waht did it) I sprayed it with a ivory soap & water mixture after I found some buggies on my other plants, in order to kill any that may have hopped on the P. passion. But I just now read that fuzzy leaved plants should not be sprayed. Did the soap kill it?
Well, however it happened, is there any hope for it? how should I try to revive it? it was practically overflowing from the pot I bought it in and now I have 2 leaves left! i have stopped with the spraying, and am keeping it in the best & most light I can & watering lightly every few days.
EEk help!
I can provide a picture if it might help anyone.
THanks!

RosieJane
by tkhooper on June 03, 2006 03:04 PM
It sounds like a gonner to me. But I have some rooted cuttings if you want to try again. The purple passion needs temperatures of 70*F, full sun, and to stay moist. You can't let it dry out. I've never sprayed mine so I can't tell you about that. Although I've also heard that fuzzy plants don't like it.

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on June 04, 2006 03:55 AM
next, more important question, does the metal pot you have it in have drainage? i think that with good light, and good drainage, you will be able to save it, but i'd stop the spraying.
by rosiejane on June 06, 2006 12:29 PM
hmmm.... the metal pot does not have a hole in the bottom. But I was told that if I put several rocks at the bottom of the pot before putting in the soil, the setup would act as a drain (granted I don't over-water).
Is this perhaps not sufficient?

THanks!

RosieJane
by GardenGuy_Gardener on June 06, 2006 01:52 PM
Rocks dont help because the transition causes the water to sit between the rocks and the soil causeing the soil to stay wet.

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by rosiejane on June 09, 2006 08:37 PM
THanks!
I have replanted it into a pot with a drain. i'm going to cross my fingers and hope for the best!

RosieJane

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: