The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Jade Update/Rooted in water (6 photos)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Jade Tree Problem| Next thread: Jade with air roots »
Back to Thread index
by Carolyn on January 28, 2004 04:34 AM
I don't know if anyone's interested or not, but my big Jade seems to be surviving and growing. The one remaining branch seems to be healthy and is putting out new growth.
 -  -
At the suggestion of someone at a local hardware/garden store, I tried painting the cut ends of the 'dead' trunks with clear fingernail polish to seal them and keep them from developing mold. It seems to have worked. Here are photos of a moldy trunk piece and the sealed trunks.
 -  -
I am currently giving my jade extra light (via a grow light on a timer to give it a few extra hours of light) so that it will keep growing and survive, and hopefully thrive, until the real Spring. Meanwhile, I have many cuttings that seem to be rooting well on dirt in pots. I've also gotten a cutting from a friend's jade to root in water!! Yes, I know it's not the correct method, but it does seem to work with this particular variety, and here's the proof: Both pictures are of the same cutting. I took it out of the glass for a better shot of the roots. I think the key is to keep the water level just under a natural break in the stem.
 -  -
Thanks to everyone who had suggestions for me.

Carolyn
by weezie13 on January 28, 2004 05:10 AM
Carolyn,
[flower] [thumb] [clappy] Thank~You for taking the
time to come back and give us all an update on your jade and what you did, and the pictures are great......that helps alot......
Alot of our gardeners here take the time to answer questions, and some go to great lengths to help those with questions, a follow up like yours makes the time we spend here, WELL SPENT!!
To know we helped someone, and a plant, we are tickled pink!!
Thanks Again!!
Very Nice of You!! [angel]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by catlover on January 28, 2004 06:18 AM
Carolyn thank you for the update. Sure is nice to know what happens after suggestions are made!

Maybe in a few months you can give us another progress report!!! [thumb]

My 2 Jades are planted outside in the ground....I will have to try starting them in water. I have always just broken a branch or taken a leaf...let it scab over and then placed in ground!

Thanks again for the success story!!! [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by Carolyn on January 28, 2004 06:13 PM
I will be sure to send more photos in a few months, or if I start getting mold. As for the water rooting, I'm not sure if it will work well for all types of Jades. I put a few types in water, but the thin stems seemed to rot. They did develop roots above the rot. I may or may not have let the ends scab over, which may have contributed to the rot. It would be interesting to see what kind of luck other people have and the effects of different variables... stem thickness, scabbing, water level, plant food, etc.

On another note, jadeplant.org now as a forum up and running. They are also looking for photos to post in the gallery, so if you have any photos of your own jades, check it out! www.jadeplant.org

Carolyn
 -
by Jiffymouse on January 28, 2004 09:28 PM
awesome pictures carolyn [thumb] thanks for the update. was wondering how it went. look forward to the next update!
by Carolyn on February 18, 2004 08:53 PM
Well, I knew it had to be too good to be true. I watered my Jade for the first time after the fingernail polish experiment, and the dead trunks started getting mushy, I guess because there was no way for them to get the moisture out. It might still work if I cut the dead trunks all the way back so they aren't trunks anymore, but thought I'd let you know that it wasn't a total success...

Carolyn
by apples on February 19, 2004 04:50 AM
Hello Carolyn,
That's kind of neat, the rooted cutting in water. It seems as though the roots are thicker then when rooted in the soil. I just recently repoted and divided my jade plant and it turned out they were just four rooted cuttings. The roots were much thinner. I guess I should be giving an update pretty soon as I asked for help about it.
Sorry to hear about your trunks. One of mine ended up dieing seemingly with no cause and I tried saving the trunk with the same result after watering. I guess we must learn as we go. Good luck to you and your plants!

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by weezie13 on February 19, 2004 05:11 AM
Carolyn and Apples,
Just a thought to interject here...

Remember that the water roots and dirt roots
are two different kind of roots...

The dirt roots can survive a bit into water,
but the plant/cutting will then grow water roots.

Those water roots, end up having a hard time
surviving into dirt later on if you take it out.

Each type of root is required to do something different... Water isn't a natural growing medium for most plants, and the cutting/plant will not develop the appropriate roots for feeding from dirt - only the ones for taking up water.

Although some plants may quickly grow these roots once you've transplanted them.

You have to be aware of this!!

Hope this helps a bit!!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on February 19, 2004 05:13 AM
Carolyn,
I also wanted to Thank~You for the update!!!!

REALLY APRECIATE IT, AND SO DO THE GARDNERS WHO TOOK THE TIME TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS, AND THE GARDENERS WHO READ AND MAY NOT POST QUESTIONS, AND FOR ALL THE FUTURE GARDENERS,
THAT PASS THROUGH THE "TGHF"!!!

[thumb] [thumb] Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by apples on February 19, 2004 04:48 PM
That's a good thing to know, thanks Weezie.
You've inspired a few new questions but mabey I should just start a new thread? One though is what about those roots that havent reached the water, or dose the plant already know that it's going into water, or Carolyn did the water just evaporate? After reading your last post you'll be glad to know I just came on more or less to write that fallow up about my jade division and then I'm on my way up the street to develope some pictures I've been taking in the last week to ask more questions! [Wink]

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by Will Creed on February 22, 2004 12:14 AM
Some plants, including Jades, will develop air roots when the surrounding air is damp. The cell structure of roots depends on whether the roots are in contact with water, moist soil, or moist air. Roots grown in one environment can adapt to a different environment if the change is not too shocking.
by Carolyn on March 10, 2004 12:53 AM
Hello! Don't know how I missed the posts about the different types of roots. Thanks for the info! The water was an experiment. Only the tip of the stem was in water, so I'm not sure if they developed air roots or water roots. I have since planted it in dirt, and it seems to be doing OK. Some of the leaves are still shrivelled, but it seems to be hanging in there.

Wish I could say the same thing about my big jade. The last remaining trunk started to shrivel, so I pulled off the last remaining stem to root on dirt. Here are the last of the photos...

-  -  -  -

I have many cuttings, so it's not gone, but it's such a shame to see such a large plant go. I will pay more attention when I need to move my plants again so I don't shock them to death this time. Thanks to everyone for their help. Even though I couldn't save the plant, I have learned a lot about how to take better care so it doesn't happen again.

Carolyn

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Jade Tree Problem| Next thread: Jade with air roots »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: