The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lime application

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: lime and squash| Next thread: Lime tree »
Back to Thread index
by Patty S on October 16, 2005 01:02 PM
As I move my hydrangeas (they've been getting too much sun where they've been), I see that the big 1 is dividing as I bring it up, so I'm going to go with it & put several of them along the side of the house. I'd like to have them bloom in different colors if I can, so I guess I need to add some lime to the soil before I set them in the ground there. My question is, how much lime do I put into the holes?

-
 -
by Longy on October 23, 2005 12:18 AM
A clenched handful to the square yard. Dolomite works faster than aglime and is easier to apply. Don't dump the lime into a hole. Dig it thru the bed beforehand.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Patty S on October 23, 2005 12:44 PM
I'm not familiar with Dolomite, but will look into it. (Easier is ALWAYS better, & 'faster' is a good thing.... unless, of course, the subject is the growing season!)
Now that you mention it, I would suppose that anything used to amend the soil should probably be worked in, rather than dumped in & just covered up... right?

[Confused] I'm new at flower gardening, but am finding out that Murphy's Law doesnt hold a candle to DUMB LUCK! I'm almost afraid that as soon as I find out the right way to do things, my thumb will turn some awful shade of fuzzy grey & I'll have to return to my carrot patch in order to be happy again... but for now, things ARE working for me & I'm simply loving it!
Thanx for the input, Longy! [thumb]

-
 -
by TulsaRose on October 23, 2005 06:19 PM
Patty, here is the link to some of the best Hydrangea information I've used in the past. I keep it in my Favorites so I can quickly solve my problems. I love my Hydrangeas!

http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/index.html

Rosie z7a
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: lime and squash| Next thread: Lime tree »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: