The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

speaking of advocados

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Sherri on January 12, 2004 04:54 AM
Just a quick question regarding advocado seeds. I stuck one in water for quite awhile and a little tiny white root appeared. Left it for awhile then noticed the bottom was getting really furry [Razz] so I planted it in seed starting mix soil. Left it there for awhile, then curiousity got the best of me, [angel] and I pulled it out to check it out. The root had gotten pretty long and the hard shell on top was flaking off, so I put it in a slightly larger pot and thinly covered the top with soil. Now for my question (whew!)Does it have a chance or did I mess with it too much? I have a real problem with patience. The whole instant gradification thing, y'know? So, anyone witj an opinion? [dunno]

-
by Canadian CrabGrass on January 12, 2004 05:09 AM
Well, here's my own experience with avocados...

I've got 3 of them planted in soil - tried the water trick and got absolutely nowhere with that ! Patience isn't my strong point either... the 3 of them grew long bare spikes, no leaves no matter what I did. I tried cutting them back, pinching and no luck. They're growing and growing and looking like 3 bare sticks in earth, and believe me I've fussed and messed with them and I haven't killed them yet. I'm letting them do what they will right now, they're alive and I can't make myself toss them in the garbage. Hopefully in the spring they'll realize that they're supposed to grow leaves and do something...
by Sherri on January 12, 2004 05:14 AM
Okay, thanks Crabby [grin] that gives me some hope then. It's killing me to not know what's going on under the soil, but I guess I'll just have to stop fiddiling with it before I do some real damage!! [angel] Keep me posted on how your's are doing!!

-
by catlover on January 12, 2004 06:38 PM
Sherri...did a little research last night and posted in this section under "Avocado info"....some interesting reading!
May or may not help! [dunno]
Catlover [kitty]

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum