The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Poor Ficus tree!! Help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Star*Child on May 11, 2006 04:52 AM
My husband and I purchased what appeared to be a healthy fichus tree about two years ago. It is the type of fichus that I think is a "money tree" but not sure it looks like the one's that come with braided trunks only mine has five or six individual trunks. Any way the problem: It has been dying slowly stem by stem, trunk by trunk each turning dry brittle and then completely dead! I have examined the soil which appears to be bug free and I use a water monitor to make sure those needs are met. The light remains constant at 'indirect' and the pot is plenty big enough. The other remaining branches do seem to be getting new leaves but I feel it is only a matter of time before the whole thing dies if I don't get some help!! Any one who can offer advise?? Please??
by loz on May 11, 2006 05:00 AM
I think they need very bright light in order to grow well....

Someone will be through soon with some answers for you, just keep checking in! [wavey]
by Star*Child on May 11, 2006 05:03 AM
Thank you! I do have low light, do you think a grow light would help?
by loz on May 11, 2006 05:10 AM
Check out the links here and see if this helps!

click me
by snapdragon on May 11, 2006 08:38 AM
WE had a ficus once in my office. It grew very well about 5 feet away from a large west facing window. They also take quite a bit of water, but insure good drainage and let dry a good bit in between waterings (my office partner induced root rot on ours and it smelled like a gas leak). Good luck!

Snapdragon
by Star*Child on May 11, 2006 10:45 AM
Thank you so much, I will try the suggestion. :-)

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: