The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Best conditions for a Spider Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by gardeningmomma on May 07, 2006 04:19 PM
Please share with me! How does everyone keep their spider plants healthy? I've killed every spider plant I've had. Any advice would be greatly appreciated [grin]
by SpringFever on May 07, 2006 04:32 PM
just keep mine in a east window and it seems to be doing great! outside the fact my cat is eating my babies!GRRRR

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by DowntoEarth on May 07, 2006 04:37 PM
I like to keep mine and all the other plants as well on the pot-bound side, with just an inch or a half inch between the root-ball and the inside of the pot with good draining soil.

They do well in bright indirect light, although a little bit of sun, morning or late afternoon won't hurt it, but you don't want it in hot afternoon sun like a south window or the leaves will fry.

Water enough so it comes flowing out the drainage hole, then let it dry before watering again.

Go easy on the fertilizer, maybe feed once in a while, maybe once a month in the spring and summer months, (none in winter) or add a drop or two to your watering can, they don't really need all that much.

Susan
[Embarrassed]
by gardeningmomma on May 07, 2006 04:38 PM
Thanks!
Susan- Good to see another Up-Stater. I'm in Oneida County [grin]
by DowntoEarth on May 07, 2006 04:40 PM
Broome County area!
by puddingned94 on May 08, 2006 02:45 AM
my spider plant is not blooming why??
by DowntoEarth on May 08, 2006 04:09 AM
It's happy AND it's gonna have babies! [Smile]

Susan
by gardeningmomma on May 08, 2006 01:52 PM
Yay! Glad it's happy. I have two at the moment, and they both appear to be fine. I don't usually have success with spider plants- I really hope my luck is changing [clappy]
by DowntoEarth on May 08, 2006 04:53 PM
puddingned94,

Make sure your giving your spider enough light, no hot sun but some morning or late sun and let the roots fill the pot.
Water it real good when the soil is dry or very close to dry and feed it half strength fertilizer once a month. Not sure how long it will take but you should see something if you keep doing that.

Susan

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: