The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

King Kong Coleus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: kinda wondering?| Next thread: King Sago's »
Back to Thread index
by Pelham Manor Cats on October 05, 2005 06:56 AM
Is the King Kong Coleus an annual or perennial indoor plant?

My King Kong Coleus was planted outside this spring and is so beautiful, that I hate to lose it over the winter.

Can I dig it up and place it in a pot and bring it in before frost begins?

Will it continue to bloom in my house all winter?

If so, then when the spring comes again, I can leave it in the pot and put it sit outside during the spring and summer until frost comes again. Right?
[kitty] [kitty] [kitty]
by tkhooper on October 05, 2005 10:25 PM
Well I don't know that variety of coleus but in general coleus are tropical they like partial shade and temperatures well above 55 F. The soil should be moist. I have my Fack coleus as a house plant and it is getting huge lol. It's never been outside but I'm sure during the summer it wouldn't mind at all. When moving them outdoors harden them slowly so they don't get burnt.

I think I have that information right but the experts will be along to correct me if I've boobooed. I get so excited and I want to help but sometimes I make mistakes.

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on October 06, 2005 02:11 AM
tk, you got it right!
by tkhooper on October 06, 2005 06:16 AM
Thanks Jiffy. I get scared when I try to let others know what I've learned cause sometimes I remember it backwards. But I love to try. I'm so glad you all are there to set me straight when my memory plays tricks on me.

-
 -
by PAR_Gardener on October 06, 2005 11:45 AM
If you don't want to lose your coleus, you don't have to dig it up. You can take a cutting and put it in water or into potting soil. They root very easily. If you take your cutting now, you can probably take two attempts at getting the cuttings to root before weather kills the parent plant.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: kinda wondering?| Next thread: King Sago's »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: