The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

a good house plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: a good book?| Next thread: a good info site »
Back to Thread index
by Ross on April 24, 2006 05:15 AM
can some please surgest a good house plant thaat i should buy

any ideas will be very hlepful

thanks once again

ross
by loz on April 24, 2006 05:29 AM
What kind of lighting availability do you have? Do you have windowsills you could put plants on, or would you be depending more on artificial lighting????

I really love my African Violets, Wandering Jews, Dracaenas, and my Rubber Tree plant. Oh an my philodendrons too! And the Umbrella Plant that Jiffy gave me.... [thumb]

There are so many different kinds.....Some stay smaller, some get huge, and others are trailing........so many to pick from. [thumb]
by tkhooper on April 24, 2006 06:08 AM
easy to care for are coleus and jade just to name a few.

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on April 24, 2006 06:53 AM
I love ivy
by joclyn on April 24, 2006 10:48 AM
do you want plants or something that flowers? do you like cactus and other succulents?

the light availability is a great question!! that (and the lack of it) is really important when buying houseplants.

what kind of time do you have for this hobby? are you looking to fiddle with something on a regular basis or do you just want things that are simple and only need to be watered periodically?
by ShazzieMc on April 24, 2006 02:06 PM
Hi Ross! I just started indoor gardening 3 years ago and I love it.I really like Philodendron's,Dracaenas,and Prayer Plants are very cool. Of course, there is always Spider Plants. If you buy 1 in no time you could have 10. [wavey]

" Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediorce minds"
~ Albert Einstein ~
by Shani on April 24, 2006 02:24 PM
I like Bamboo, its really easy to care for spider plants are always nice too.

Shani
 -
May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
by Jiffymouse on April 24, 2006 03:01 PM
peace lily, zz, pothos, wandering jew, gosh, the list is endless...
by Ross on April 24, 2006 07:23 PM
thanks guys i've got some Dracaenas,spider plants,money plant and meican hat plant but the Rubber Tree plant sounds good.

i can give my plants lots of natural light and lots of artificial light

i would like a plant that will have lots of babys

ross
by Jiffymouse on April 25, 2006 10:31 AM
rubber tree - ficus elastica, is a very easy plant, and cutting from it are really easy also.
by bettyboop1948 on April 25, 2006 01:38 PM
If you want alot of babies
get a spider plant you will have
alot in no time and later you can start many more
spider plant's from them it is a nice plant
i have afew,i really like them
bettyboop1948 [thumb]
U can see 2 in this pic
 -
by tkhooper on April 26, 2006 01:13 AM
Purple Passion Plant is a plant that likes to stay moist but not soggy and with proper fertilization will give you bunches of vines for cuttings. And by the time they root it will be time for you to prune the mother plant again. With proper pruning you'll always have these to sell at your car mart. Well except when it has it'd dormant period. But so far I've only experience one of those and I've had mine for slightly less than a year I think.

-
 -
by River Willow on April 26, 2006 05:12 AM
Hi from Texas. I agree on the Spider plant. I have several that have green edges and white center and they really make babies. But the one that I got from my mom years ago has white edges with a green center and makes hardly any babies. I am trying to do more as that is one of the few plants I have left from my mom. What kind is yours? Have a nice day. River Willow

River Willow
by loz on April 26, 2006 05:52 AM
Wandering Jews are so easy to restart from cuttings.....just root them in some water and voila!!!! You have another plant.

They are one of my favorites! [thumb]
by joclyn on April 26, 2006 07:05 AM
spider plants do babies VERY easily/quickly. purple passion is also very easily propogated and so is the wandering jew.

i just got a golden pothos - it's not too large now, but i repotted it so it'll start growing and that's another one that you can easily root.

i've got a rubber plant too - very easy to care for. i haven't tried taking a cutting from it yet, tho.

hmm, what else do i have? lucky bamboo, an orchid, a zz plant - oh, that's another one that's easy to root! - jade plant, african violets, miniture umbrella, miniture roses and i've got two things i don't have names for - i need to get pics up in the mystery section...one of them is VERY easy to get babies from - i've now got four plants going from the main one!

i've previously had christmas cactus - that's very easy to take cuttings from and root. also, the polka dot plant.
by Jiffymouse on April 26, 2006 10:39 AM
rubber plants are VERY easy to grow from cuttings
by Ross on April 27, 2006 06:57 AM
Ok thanks guys i have got a rubber plant and i love it thanks for your help

ross

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: a good book?| Next thread: a good info site »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: