The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cuttings from a polka dot plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Cuttings| Next thread: Cuttings from a Rubber Plant... »
Back to Thread index
by gardeningmomma on April 21, 2006 08:14 AM
Anyone taken cuttings from a polka dot plant? Do I put it in water? Or straight in soil? Would I use a root hormone? I'd like to give mine a trim!
Thanks,
Gail
by Wrennie on April 21, 2006 06:51 PM
If I remember right I put mine right in water and waited for roots.
Been a long time since Ihad that one.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by SpringFever on April 21, 2006 07:41 PM
I put mine in the soil 2 weeks ago and its doing great! [thumb]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by gardeningmomma on April 22, 2006 03:13 AM
I'm going to try both! Thanks [Wink]
by SpringFever on April 22, 2006 04:04 AM
Good luck Mine started wicked easy ! [thumb]

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on April 28, 2006 02:33 PM
I have 5 going now and they are all doing well.
Thanks [thumb]
by SpringFever on April 29, 2006 01:26 PM
which worked best Gmomma ??

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on April 29, 2006 04:14 PM
Not sure. Cutting in soil looks happy and healthy, as do the ones in water- bt no roots yet. Will keep you posted. [gabby]
by gardeningmomma on May 19, 2006 01:58 PM
Soil worked the best. The ones in soil are growing, growing, growing... the ones in water have no roots or new growth, but still look healthy. [grin]
by SpringFever on May 20, 2006 12:33 AM
Cool ... I read a thread that said about them being out side I put mine out in april and it is happy!! I will bring it in before the snow though!

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on May 20, 2006 01:55 PM
I put mine outside too, but bring them at night.
by SpringFever on May 20, 2006 03:52 PM
I just left mine out and it seems to like it well outside the flood!! but it is happy I will try to get a pic tomarrow of it!

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on May 20, 2006 04:11 PM
I can't wait to see it! [thumb] Maybe I'll put mine outside through the Summer. Did you put it in a shady spot? Or full sun?
by SpringFever on May 20, 2006 04:17 PM
The middle of the road .. gets all the am sun and shade in the afternoom! it is actually changing color.. the leafs are a bit darker than they used to be!

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on May 20, 2006 04:29 PM
I have two - one with white dots and one with pink dots. I gave away all my cutings, so now am going to take some more. Mine are growing like weeds!!!
by SpringFever on May 20, 2006 04:33 PM
They are such a pretty plant!! I don't even know there zone... but I love the little dots! oh I have the pink! My indoor ones are getting a bit spindely .. I am kinda keeping them that way for cuttings!

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on May 21, 2006 07:52 AM
I was thinking about leaving mine alone for a month or two and letting get a little unruly!
by joclyn on May 21, 2006 08:29 AM
i've done that! doesn't take long if they're getting proper water and have correct lighting!!

and, it makes for lots of cuttings to take to make new plants [Wink]
by gardeningmomma on May 22, 2006 01:14 AM
I think they are such beautiful plants. I've been on the look out for one with red polka dot leaves. My main worry about putting them outside is the sunlight "bleaching" the leaves.
by joclyn on May 22, 2006 08:17 AM
they are beautiful...finicky about their moisture level tho [Wink]

i prefer the green with pink variety. just bought a new one this year (other one died). the store also had some of the red ones. i didn't know, until i saw them, that there was one with that coloring. you should be able to find one somewhere in your area...try one of the smaller mom-n-pop garden centers/nurseries. they're more likely to have the unusual varieties.
by gardeningmomma on May 22, 2006 02:01 PM
I noticed some on-line, but I prefer to buy locally. I'll have a look next weekend. I will be going to buy soil so I can transplant my root bound plants. I love that they are ready for bigger pots! There is such satisfaction knowing that I'm doing something right!!!
by gardeningmomma on May 26, 2006 03:28 PM
I couldn't find any locally - so I bought some seeds on-line. I can't wait to get them! [grin] I was thinking about putting them in a big pot with my white and pink polka dot plants.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cuttings| Next thread: Cuttings from a Rubber Plant... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: