The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Harvesting Coleus Seeds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by tkhooper on April 18, 2006 07:00 PM
My landlord has let his coleus flower. I was wondering if anyone could tell be how to colect the seeds. Or if anyone has a picture of the seeds head or pod. I've never seen a coleus in that condition so I don't have a clue what I am looking for. Thank you for your help.

-
 -
by Wrennie on April 18, 2006 07:07 PM
I would snip off the whole mature flower head and put it in a paper bag. Then when it dies & dries up give it a good shake and the seeds should fall to the bottom of the bag.
I know theres a website that helps ID seeds. I'll have to see if I can remember who posted about it(on a different forum) and let you know.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by tkhooper on April 18, 2006 07:29 PM
Thanks Wrennie,

Hope I can get them. JV is looking for coleus seeds so I want to be able to send these to him. I don't think a cutting would survive long enough to get to him.

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 18, 2006 07:57 PM
Very easy to grow from seeds. I thought the plant had to die in order for the seeds to mature? I really am not sure. [dunno]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by tkhooper on April 18, 2006 08:07 PM
Once the plant produces seeds it has completed it's life cycle and will die. My landlord didn't pinch it back when it flowered and the flower spikes are starting to die so the plant is done for. That's why I wanted to know about harvesting the seeds. I don't let mine flower because I want to keep it around awhile. And usually even when it gets older I take cuttings rather than harvesting seeds.

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 18, 2006 11:03 PM
Ohh gotcha misunderstanding!! I keep mine pinched off too... [Wink] [Embarrassed]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: