The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Transplanting cuts from Philodendron

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Missouri Karen on April 11, 2006 01:00 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me with information regarding cuttings from philodendrons. Do I need to take these cuttings and let them root in water first, or just directly apply them to the dirt immediately after cutting?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Karen
by margaret e. pell on April 11, 2006 02:21 AM
I've always had better luck rooting in water first. Plant in soil when the roots are 1/2 to 1 inch long.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Amber J on April 11, 2006 04:01 AM
I rooted mine in water, then transplanted. Be sure to transplant with some B vitamin to help with the shock of transplantation.

And YES, I KNOW .... no one agrees with me, but I love Superthrive for that job! [Big Grin] I've always had luck with it. Sometimes my cuttings will die if I just transplant them with regular water.

BTW, how are you doing your philodenderon cuttings?
by preciousgreenfingers on April 11, 2006 11:29 PM
Rooting in water first always gives me faster and better results but be sure to transplant into soil when the roots are an inch or so. This is so because plants have different roots to adapt to different mediums. If the roots grow too big in water, they become water roots.
by ShirlS on April 12, 2006 02:24 AM
Hi Preciousgreenfingers,

I have a question about the water roots. I have a peace lilly that is growing in the water of my Betta fish bowl. It is really healthy, living there. When my fish decides to move on, am I going to have a problem potting the plant in soil?

Thanks!

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by bettyboop1948 on April 12, 2006 05:49 AM
Hi Karen,
I do all my cutting's and start's in Schultz
Take Root it is a rooting hormone,it is for cutting's and i have did in water too, [flower]
So good luck to you
bettyboop1948 [thumb]
by mycateatspiderplants on April 12, 2006 09:03 AM
you could always get a new betta! [Razz]

saving one pet wont change the world, but surely the world will change for that one pet....
by Amber J on April 12, 2006 10:23 AM
I have a gigantic split-leaf philodenderon, and I noticed today that I can pull off an entire leaf-stem. So you think if I put that in water it will root?
by Triss on April 12, 2006 11:02 AM
I have done these in water as well with great success!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by preciousgreenfingers on April 12, 2006 02:24 PM
Hello Shirls,
You will probably have problem re-establishing your peace lily in soil. The plant generally goes slack in soil but you surely can try with one small clump before all your fish go.
Best of luck!
by ShirlS on April 13, 2006 12:08 AM
[Big Grin] mycateatspiderplants I could get another one, but I don't wanna [Razz] Good suggestion though!

Thanks for answering my question Precious. I will do as you say when the time comes, and try a small part of it first.

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by mycateatspiderplants on April 13, 2006 07:27 AM
why not just keep it in a vase w/ water? it looks nice if you put colored glass marbles in the bottom- dont have to have fish... [flower]

saving one pet wont change the world, but surely the world will change for that one pet....
by ShirlS on April 14, 2006 12:09 AM
My cat likes to try and drag it out of the fishbowl. I don't want it broken and her hurt. You know about cats, they own the place [Big Grin]

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by Frisha on April 14, 2006 02:48 AM
ACK be careful and keep that away from your kitty it is very toxic to cats.

Active Garden Forum