The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Did i do this right? Calla Lily

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: did i burn my basil?| Next thread: Did I kill it? »
Back to Thread index
by Nako on November 25, 2004 08:05 AM
Hi!
Okie dokie, this is my first winter with my calla Lily. I decided to raise it in a pot, and keep it indoors for the most part, and it wasn't getting enough sun so it growed pretty leggy. Then i had it next to an open window so it would get cold and less light as the fall turned into winter so i could winterize it. Then when all the stems stopped growing new stems, and fell over, and started changing color, i cut them all off, and checked for extra bulbs under the soil. I found 4, and separated them from the maine one so it would concentrate all its energy on the main one. Then i covered em all up, let em sit outside overnight in the rain a bit, and now its in my celler.

Did i do this right? What could i have done better?

Thanks ^.^
~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Jiffymouse on November 26, 2004 01:36 AM
sounds like you did it right to me! that's what i'd have done if i were up north...
by Nako on November 26, 2004 10:23 PM
Awesome! rereading my post i found a whole lotta gramatical errors and misspellings o.O

But ya, do i need to water em or anything?

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Jiffymouse on November 28, 2004 02:55 AM
that, i dunno. but if you keep looking, i am sure some one on here does.
by njoynit on December 11, 2004 08:50 AM
I grew mine up Indpls in hanging basket,but keept growing it and used plant lights and grouped plants together.down here my whites are in ground& growing my green calla in pot in screened/plasticted porch on sunny side.you have to worry about fungas and mold.so they still potted up?if potted still I'd removed and let air dry or hang to dry for the season in one of them mesh bags.good air is important.my book don't say about watering for dormancey.it mentions storeing in a root cellar and airing them till spring when re pot them up and can start watering and when starts to sprout a weak fertlizer can be added.

So what color are yours?
I've had my whites for about 8-9yrs.I never did a thing to them up indy were in same pot same soil all that time till TX.I took out of pot cause wind blewpot and it busted.it was PACKED with bulbs.they went into a pot a 20 inch pot and the pot FILLED,so traded some off for other stuff& now grow in gound.i did let go dormant last year.cuase I never had and they had not bloomed for about 5 years.They went in ground now and bloom.I'm gonna try some in pond next year& gonna move the white ones to more sun its part shade& are leggy.i'm hopeing my green increases by spring.I want a pice of green in pond also.And seen a new one purple/black flowers purple stems...awesome!I want it!it has color on leaves too named after some model.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Nako on December 15, 2004 10:21 AM
Oh, so would it be okay to just kinda put them in a thing full of shavings in the crisper of my refrigerator? I don't have a root celler >.< How about just taking them out of the soil and sitting them on top of it? Or i could set em on the ground or something in the basement... but i hate my basement cuz its scary down there >.< Imagine the basement from the movie Evil Dead, and you got my basement lol.

But ya ^.^ I have a Crystal Blush! Its never flowered. I bought it without a flower, in the nursery section of my greenhouse, cuz i wanted to grow it on my own, and see if i could make it flower. but as it turns out, i bought it after the flowering season lol. plus there wasn't enough light in the window room of my house, because the windows in there face north and towards sunset [dunno] Now all my plants get sunrise, and they're doing much better! but none the less, my lilies leaves died back cuz i wintered it by keeping the window open next to it ^.^

>'.'< meow!
~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by hdsporty97 on December 16, 2004 04:49 PM
Go to www.dutchgardens.com and check out the Picasso Calla Lily. It's so pretty and will definitely be in my yard next year!

-
Life isn't a box of chocolates...It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today migth burn your @$$ tomorrow!
by Nako on December 17, 2004 11:10 AM
omg sporty! That's so pretty!

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Bestofour on December 18, 2004 09:45 PM
The site says good in pots or planters. Wonder if they can be put in the ground? I'd like some too if they can.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Nako on December 19, 2004 07:40 AM
oh they can definately be put in the ground [Smile] They're mostly found by the water gardens at Wentworth Greenhouses ^.^ But ya, people plant them next to drainage ditches and stuff like that too. If you live in a cold area, just make sure you take it out of the ground and dry it i guess ^.^

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by mineemo on December 21, 2004 10:37 PM
Hi there, what a wonderful site this seems to be. I have calla lilys in my garden and in pots etc, and am very fortunate that they just look after themselves in our climate. I do however have one calla that shares a very large container with another calla, one is healthy and producing heaps of flowers, the other is very pale leaved and producing only a few flowers, any idea as to why one plant should be healthy and the other not when they share the same conditions? Last year they were the same colouring (leaves). They are the same height, and the plant looks healthy except it is pale! Ideas/answers would be appreciated. Thanks

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: did i burn my basil?| Next thread: Did I kill it? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: