The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hold that tiger!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Hog Panel Arbor for $18| Next thread: Hole in water pipe »
Back to Thread index
by Carly on November 18, 2004 10:45 PM
Cause it's gonna' duplicate itself all over the lot this spring.

In early autumn I took a few from a corner of the parking lot and put them in another spot - figured I'd have to get some more.

Hoo boy! Today I cleaned out that same corner - not only did I get a bucket and a half of perfectly good soil made by the leaves that were stashed there, I got some two hundred clutches of tiger lily bulbs (tubers, or whaddya' call 'ems).

Now . . . what do I do? Do I separate them and put in single pieces - or do I put the little clusters in without taking them apart.

I've already done about 2 dozen along the fence - took them apart, but there's lots of them left.

I'm going to put them on the front lot tomorrow (we're having marvelous weather here in Toronto), so I hope somebody knows.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by suzydaze on November 18, 2004 11:12 PM
[Big Grin] they sould call them rabbit lilies. I moved some and decided I didn't like where I had them...well it didn't do any good to move them again because now I have some there and the new place I moved them to and another new place I moved them too.

I'm dumping rocks on the first spot this winter. Do you think they'll come back through the rocks? [Frown]

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Carly on November 19, 2004 09:58 PM
I'd move the rocks in early spring - just in case. I just planted some more - I left them in clumps of 3 and 4.

The leader of the 'stewardship' program at the park lives in our building. I asked him - he says I'd be better to separate them - gives them a better chance. He says you can even break up individual pieces (like a garlic) and get more out of it. I never thought of that.

Well, I've got some in the same part of the retaining wall where I found them and some by the fence beside the rock garden. I put an old fridge rack over them so the squirrels can't dig 'em up on me.

Then I spent a couple of hours digging that mallow (malva) stuff out of the grass to add it to the slope where I'm collecting ground cover.

I came in early - it's cooler today - you can smell the snow in the air. Distant, but it's there getting all revved up for Santa's sled.

Hope it gets off to a slow start.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hog Panel Arbor for $18| Next thread: Hole in water pipe »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: