The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Orchid help!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: orchid care| Next thread: Orchid Iris »
Back to Thread index
by lcyrose on April 03, 2006 05:52 AM
I would like to know how to (and if I can)separate my orchid from the mother plant. It seems to have an offshoot from the pseudobulb and I was wondering it I cut it and plant it in orchid soil if it would take.
by Patty S on April 03, 2006 12:12 PM
Do you know what kind of Orchid it is? Whether or not you can separate it, depends on what type it is. (Do you have a picture of it that you can post?)

If the offshoot is kind of like a "siamese twin", I wouldn't separate it from the main bulb (and I'd never CUT it away... you might lose both plants!). If it's mature enough & looks like it may be independent of the main bulb, maybe you can ease the two apart... but still, it does depend on which kind of Orchid we're talking about. [dunno]

-
 -
by lcyrose on April 03, 2006 09:09 PM
Thank you for your reply Patty. It is a Dendrobium Sakura (?) orchid. I am sorry but I have no pix. It looks like it can be separated, but I did not want to take the chance. Thanks again for your help...
by TomR on April 04, 2006 08:32 AM
I have one of those. If it is a keiki wait until it's roots are an inch long.

http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/ces/yard/1996/111196.html

If it is just another cane leave it alone. Water ane fertilize as normal. You *MAY* need to repot the whole plant next year keeping the older cane near the new pot rim so that the new canes have enough room to form in the next few years. Do not cut off the old canes. They store water!

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by lcyrose on April 05, 2006 10:33 PM
thank you very much for your help..I can't wait to separate! [clappy]
by Patty S on April 17, 2006 02:56 PM
lcyrose, let us know how it turns out for you, OK?

Do you have other Orchids? I didn't want to start trying to keep Orchids because I thought they'd be really hard to take care of without a greenhouse. (I'm sort of dropping hints to Hubby about that... & he told me that when he rebuilds our deck this year, he's thinking about putting a greenhouse on the far end of it!) [clappy] I have a friend who has a really nice greenhouse, & when she goes out of town occasionally, she has me water & mist her plants. (She has Anthuriums & dozens of Orchids & several other tropicals.) She knows that I really like her Orchids & probably assumed that I wanted some, because she started bringing me one every time I took care of her greenhouse! I told her that I'd probably only kill them off, but over the past 7 months I've acquired 5 of them (only 2 are the same type), & they're all doing fine! [thumb]

This is my favorite... but I can't find the marker now, so I can't tell you what it is! [Embarrassed]
 -
(I can't be sure, because the picture isn't very clear, but I think those pink flowers at the far right are from my Dendrobium.)

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 18, 2006 11:10 PM
Nope I'm not getting started growing orchids. I can't buy groceries now for buying plant things lol.

-
 -
by joclyn on April 20, 2006 01:30 AM
i always wanted an orchid and also thought they'd be too hard to care for. some are.

i decided to get an orchid a few years ago. i keep in the kitchen. what i've got is a phalenopsis (sp?). it's doing just fine - even without the high humidity that some of them need.

it's actually easier to care for than some of the other plants i've had or currently have!!
by dodge on April 21, 2006 10:02 AM
joclyn,

Welcome me to the Orchid club ..i bought one today at walmart.....White and i love it .. Soon as i upload the photo I will send it to Garden helper..

;o) all smiles

I want my flowers while I am living.. Cant smell them after I am dead.

dodge [Love]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by dodge on April 21, 2006 10:19 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107154479

[party] [party] [party]
MY ENTRANCE TO THE ORCHID CLUB.

DO I QUALIFY, FOR MEMEBERSHIP?

;O)

DODGE ..........I HOPE I DO.

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by joclyn on April 22, 2006 02:08 AM
oh! that's a nice one!!
by TomR on April 23, 2006 01:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Patty S:
lcyrose, let us know how it turns out for you, OK?

Do you have other Orchids? I didn't want to start trying to keep Orchids because I thought they'd be really hard to take care of without a greenhouse. (I'm sort of dropping hints to Hubby about that... & he told me that when he rebuilds our deck this year, he's thinking about putting a greenhouse on the far end of it!) [clappy] I have a friend who has a really nice greenhouse, & when she goes out of town occasionally, she has me water & mist her plants. (She has Anthuriums & dozens of Orchids & several other tropicals.) She knows that I really like her Orchids & probably assumed that I wanted some, because she started bringing me one every time I took care of her greenhouse! I told her that I'd probably only kill them off, but over the past 7 months I've acquired 5 of them (only 2 are the same type), & they're all doing fine! [thumb]

This is my favorite... but I can't find the marker now, so I can't tell you what it is! [Embarrassed]
 -
(I can't be sure, because the picture isn't very clear, but I think those pink flowers at the far right are from my Dendrobium.)

Your paph looks like mine, a Supersuk "Eureka" AM/AOS x Raisin pie "Hsinying" x Sib. Mine is in bloom and has been for 2 weeks now!

I have that Sakura Den, if it's a new cane coming from the base of the plant LEAVE IT. I reptted mine today actually.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by CatherineC on April 26, 2006 03:51 PM
i agree with the supersucker designation.... it does look like that type from the photo, and this variant is somewhat common these days...
also, never separate a new growth from the established plant.... the only time one would is in the case of a keiki (which is what dendrobiums do), and that is only after the keiki develops some good roots going.... as for other types, such as cattleyas, oncidiums, etc... they are "split" by what is called a division... where several mature pseudobulbs are severed at the rhyzome with a sharp knife, leaving a couple mature pseudobulbs on each "half"... always remember to "coat" the exposed surfaces from such cutting with ground cinnamon (a natural antiseptic) to prevent infection....
also, has been my experience that alot of dendrobiums do not take that kindly to regular repotting....
thank you

JUST STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES
by lcyrose on May 04, 2006 04:19 AM
thank you CatherineC for your input....I learn something new EVERY day...I have not split my keikos yet...I have been busy planting outdoors...I bought a new home last year and am loading uo with all sorts of plants and flowers. I am saving the keikos for a rainy day....if it ever comes....LOL

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: orchid care| Next thread: Orchid Iris »
Back to Thread index