The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

hydrangea tidbits & question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Hydrangea's gone wrong| Next thread: hydrangea woes »
Back to Thread index
by joclyn on September 10, 2005 02:02 PM
i bought a hydrangea last year...the flower turned out to be whitish-green. [Razz] (i hate green to begin with and this looked particularly nasty). so, i know you can modify the flower color by changing the acidity of the soil. followed what the garden center recommended - african violet food. <badword> near killed the bush. actually, it really looked like it was dead. luckily, i didn't dig it up (sometimes being too busy working is a good thing, lol) so what happens this spring? new shoots! yay! [clappy] and no, i didn't give it any african violet food this year...just let it be - had nice, pretty pink flowers on it this year. probably the mulch that i used...licorice root.

then, this summer, i transplanted a hydrangea from the neighbors yard to my back yard (the other is in the front) and it took well...funny thing, the flower that was on it was white with a maroon strip near the end of the petal...couple days later the whole flower was pink. obviously, the soil in my yard is different than the soil it was in originally. amazing how it could be so different only a 100 feet away...

k. no problem - either color would have been okay. i do prefer purple tho and the bush we had when i was growing up was a really pretty bluish/purple and i'd really like to duplicate it (that's the great thing about hydrangea, you can easily change the color). color was not really too important tho - it was more important that the plant just survive the transplant.

k. next thing. i put some mulch down a week or so later...licorice root, like i put out front.

[Wink]

[Big Grin]

[grin]

the flower turned purple!!! [clappy] (i'm a purple freak...i usually make my posts on forums in purple...can't do that on this board tho...

k. nuf funny stuff. *clears throat* time for the serious stuff...the question.

the plant that i transplanted survived being moved and survived being eaten by the japanese beetles and also survived the family of groundhogs that live next door and crawl under my fence just at the spot where i put the hydrangea...the leaves look funny tho. kind of rusty around the edges - just some of the leaves at the bottom of the bush.

i purposely put it in the shade of the tree. it gets no sun in the morning (the trees block it completely) and then gets some afternoon sun for a couple of hours and then the sun is behind the neighbors house. so, about 3-4 hours total.

is that too much? and if so, should i move it now or wait until early next summer? it didnt' seem to go into any shock when i moved it this year...it took really well and i don't want to move it again if i don't have to...
by alankhart on September 11, 2005 03:09 AM
3-4 hors is enough, especially when it's evening sun. Hydrangeas usually do best with morning sun and afternoon shade, but I have 3 that get the opposite and they do very well. I do have to water them if we don't get much rain, however, or they tend to wilt in the heat.

-
 -
 -
by joclyn on September 11, 2005 02:20 PM
yes, they will wilt if they don't have enough water. that's not the issue tho - there's no wilting at all and considering that the grass is brown because we haven't had a lot of rain, it's pretty amazing that the hydrangea ISN'T wilted!!
by tamara on September 11, 2005 08:20 PM
Not all hydrangeas can be modified, you might have bought a Pee Gee, mine is green and white turning to pink once the frost hits it.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by njoynit on September 12, 2005 09:49 PM
I think the blueist you would get would be a niko blue hygrandea.

Licorice mulch huh....the closest I can even come to that is when find some horse poo that game from some horse who ATE licorice.My SIL yard has some patches of horse poo and when mow them they smell like licorice!

I get some pale liliac out of my hydrageas.Then have my forever pink.I have oak leaf too.I just wish the dogs would quit running through it.its now down to 1 stem.
rooting your cuttings is easy too.I just cut...stick in pot of soil and forget about them almost I make sure they stay watered when dry.I'll do more end of month.

I move my plants all the time.I'm even gonna move a hydrandea today.I just got a 10 ft side porch...empty in front.gotta fill it in.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by RugbyHukr on September 12, 2005 10:38 PM
to turn blue you must acidify your soil. feed them with an evergreen treatment (they like acidic soil) such as Miracid, Hollytone, or any azalea-rhododendron-camellia food.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by joclyn on September 14, 2005 10:09 AM
k, thx for responses. it's clear to me that the licorice root is acidic, since after i placed it around the bush, the flower turned purple. in fact a very dark purple.

alan, from what you said the light factor is not causing the problem i asked about. any ideas as to why the leaves look 'rusty' around the edges? thx
by murphyette on September 17, 2005 06:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by joclyn:
k, thx for responses. it's clear to me that the licorice root is acidic, since after i placed it around the bush, the flower turned purple. in fact a very dark purple.

alan, from what you said the light factor is not causing the problem i asked about. any ideas as to why the leaves look 'rusty' around the edges? thx

Mine got a bit of that too, and I was wondering if it was because we have had unseasonably warm temperatures for a very long period of time now. It has been cooler this past week, and they are looking quite fabulous. Has it been hot and dry where you are? I swear I read somewhere that Hydrangeas like the soil continuously moist, as in little waterings every day, rather than a big soaking a few times a week. Do you have mulch around them to hold in the moisture?
I use ammonium sulfate on mine to keep them blue, it is usually cheaper, and works just as well.

Jody

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hydrangea's gone wrong| Next thread: hydrangea woes »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: