The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Half dead aloe vera

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Hair rinses| Next thread: half-dead holly »
Back to Thread index
by peacelily on March 30, 2006 10:59 PM
A few months ago part of my aloe plant died (I think it got too cold, or I sprayed bug spray on it and killed part of it) but half of it is still alive. The top branch is what's still alive, so I was wondering if I could somehow remove it from the rest of the plant and get it to grow on it's own.......?
by tkhooper on March 30, 2006 11:05 PM
No they don't reproduce that way. Or at least I've never heard of them reproducing that way. Sorry about its ouchie.

-
 -
by Amany on March 30, 2006 11:58 PM
I've never had to do this, but this is what I've read:

If the leaf has no roots, let it callus over for a day, place the cut/broken end ON the soil, and support it with top dressing. DO NOT WATER IT-it has no roots, so watering the soil will likely cause rot. Instead, mist it every few days. Roots should start forming within a month. When growth is evident, it can be watered.

Good luck!
by Amy R. on March 31, 2006 09:30 AM
Hey peacelily,

I found some remnants of a newly massacred aloe in my neighbor's driveway, so I picked a piece up and stuck it in water, strictly for ornamental reasons. Surprisingly, a few days later, a I noticed a little root protruding from the stem, so I potted it into a little soil, and voila! I have an aloe plant. Only problem is, aloes don't propagate that way (to my knowledge), so either I have some mutant strain, or it was massacred for a reason. Sooo...what's my point? I have no idea! I say stick the healthy part in water, if only so you get a couple more weeks out of it!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hair rinses| Next thread: half-dead holly »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: