The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

NEW TO ROSES...HELP FOR OLD ROSES

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by KCHERRONE on September 07, 2005 03:05 AM
I HAVE NINE ROSE BUSHES. SEVEN OF THEM ARE PRETTY OLD. I ONLY KNOW SOME BASICS ABOUT THEM. MY HOUSE IS NEARLY 100 YRS. OLD AND ALL MY NEIGHBORS SAY THESE ROSES HAVE BEEN HERE AS LONG AS THEY HAVE OR MORE. THREE OF THE BUSHES ARE IN FULL SHADE NOW SINCE THE TREES ARE ALSO CLOSE TO 100 YRS. OLD OR MORE. I WANT TO MOVE THEM ALL TOGETHER ALONG MY FENCE WHICH HAS FULL SUN UNTIL EARLY AFTERNOON. I DON'T WANT TO LOOSE ANY OF THEM! WHEN CAN I BEGIN THE PROCESS? DECEMBER-JANUARY IS IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE WE ARE USUALLY COVERED IN UP TO 10 FEET OF SNOW FOR THE DURATION. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO FIND OUT EXACTLY WHICH KIND OF ROSE THE ARE. THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME IN ANY WAY WITH THESE ROSES.
by mike57 on September 07, 2005 10:08 PM
[wayey] HI KCHERRONE welcome to the forum.
heres some information on it for you Roses are best transplanted in late winter or early spring when they are coming out of winter dormancy.But for a successful transplant i have better luck in the spring than in late winter as the ground might be hard to dig. most roses are sold in the spring so its the best time to plant or transplant them.here is the best way i know of to transplant them.water the plant every day for a few days.then dig the hole where you plan on moving it to approximately 20 to 25 inches wide and 12 to 15 inches deep. Roses like soil that is rich in organic matter so mix generous amounts of organic matter into the soil that you dug out of the planting hole.i would recommend putting on some gloves and then prune back the rose as much as possible.then Dig a circle around the plant about 10 to 12 inches beyond where its drip line was. If you run across any roots cut them off with a pair of hand pruners.Continue to dig down about 15 inches until you can slip your shovel under the plant. Once you have undercut the rose bush you will should be able to remove it easily.When you lift the plant you will find that most of the soil will drop off the roots leaving them exposed.In the hole where your going to plant it make a mound of amended soil spread out the roots and set the plant on the mound. Be sure the mound is tall enough to hold the crown at the same level it was originally planted.then just backfill the hole about halfway with the amended soil and fill it with water.then when that drains add more soil to fill the hole and make a ring of soil around the hole with some of the soil.then flood the area again the ring of soil will help hold the water on the planted rose.after that water soaks in put in the rest of the soil to establish the finish grade.then dress the soil then top that with some good organic mulch.then water once a week till new growth starts growing.hope this helps.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: