The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

JADE PLANTS ROOTING!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by seeme on March 22, 2006 09:04 AM
today i checked my jades that i had chopped up and stuck in water......and they had roots!!boy did i feel like a proud mother!lol it is sooo nice to see things actually work!lol
by Amy R. on March 22, 2006 09:50 AM
Good for you seeme! Did you know you can also let your jade cutting callous over and then place it directly in soil? Some choose to dip the cuttings in rooting hormone, but I just stick it right in the soil, keep an eye on it until it's established, and voila! I have another baby jade. In fact, I have a baby jade nursery going on!
by seeme on March 22, 2006 09:53 AM
nice! i heard they were easy to grow but i never thought they were that easy!
by Maya717 on March 22, 2006 01:56 PM
Last summer I tried starting jades in water but they went all mushy and died. Same thing happened in soil. Is there a special trick?
by Patty S on March 22, 2006 02:57 PM
I've never had any luck rooting Jades in soil, but they root in water just fine, for me! I don't know that I did anything special, other than change the water every week or so. (It seems like anything I've been successful at has been out of sheer luck, as I'm just learning the ropes & don't know many of the rules yet!)

I know that there are lots of folks around here with Jades, & I'm sure some of them will pop in & share their methods with us, so we can do it "on purpose" next time!

-
 -
by GardenGuy_Gardener on March 23, 2006 07:07 AM
I have 6 leeaves rooting now. its so amazing howuch a little leaf can grow into such a big plant

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by Patty S on March 23, 2006 04:22 PM
Wow, GardenGuy! Could you tell us exactly how you're rooting them? (In water or in soil?) Also, you're saying "leaf"... is that to say that this is a plant whose roots will grow from the leaves (rather than - or besides, from the stems)? We'd sure appreciate it, if you'd share your method of propagation with us! [thumb]

We'd also love to see pictures, if you have any that you could post!

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 23, 2006 11:00 PM
I have the subshrub variety of jade and it will root if I leave any dropped leaves lying on the soil during it's growing cycle when it gets water every few days. The propogation is about 25% because I literally don't even see them until they grow up and over the pot edge. (I have mine in a hanging pot) With the stem cuttings I don't even let them scar over I just stick them in the same pot with mama plant and they do great. I usually get 100% propogation with that method. I've never tried the water method.

-
 -
by GardenGuy_Gardener on March 24, 2006 07:33 AM
what i do is i have a pretty easy method. i have a dragon tree next to my jade (id stivck it in the jade pot but it has like a 1 in layer of decoration rock on the top) andway i stick it in with the draciena and only water when i water the draciena. It is just a leaf. i dont pull them off because it is a realyl healthy plant. Usually its just when i prune to keep its shape i just stick it in the soil and off it goes.

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by kirksgirl on March 25, 2006 12:14 AM
I had a similar question about Jades my this is my sisters plant (she is nightmare with plants) so I brought this one home with me in hopes of saving it. I repotted in new soil. It had leaves all down the stems but they were all droopy and dead, so I took them the leaves at the top are pretty healthy Will the leaves ever grow back on the rest of the stems or should cut this down and reroot the goodparts.
 -
by tkhooper on March 25, 2006 02:34 AM
I hope it is much brighter in that location than the picture shows. Jades like light. Mine will usually produce air roots where a leaf has been taken off and sometimes produce a branch at that location. You have a nice trunk going there so I would allow it to recover as is. But that's just my thoughts on the subject.

-
 -
by Will Creed on March 25, 2006 05:42 AM
Like most plants, Jades rarely put out new growth except at the ends of stems. For that reason, I recommend that you cut back each of the two stems with leaves to a point about an inch above the Y. New growth will then come in at those points and grow upward from there. This will help get rid of some of the legginess.

Your Jade has suffered from lack of light. That is why the leaves are small and the stems are lanky. Place your Jade on your brightest windowsill. Allow the soil to dry out almost completely in between waterings. Do not fertilize it for at least a year.
by kirksgirl on March 26, 2006 11:41 AM
Thanks, I do have it in a bright window, I just moved it for the picture. My sister had this plant in a windowless kitchen- where she sprayed it with her vegtable sprayer all the time [shocked] I repotted it into some fresh dry soil. Is it ok if I mix some perilite into the soil to help the cuttings reroot? My sister wants this plant back, so I am typing up some does and dont's of Jades plants.
by Lynnern on April 09, 2006 04:20 AM
I have had great luck with growing and rooting jade plants and the soil I use is 1/2 cactus/succulent soil to 1/2 good potting soil.

Lynne
by plants 'n pots on April 09, 2006 04:34 AM
I just had to say hi to another Lynne here!

Can't believe there's another who spells it with the "e" at the end!

I have used the same mix as you, with the same good results. I've also used potting soil that has a lot of peat and perlite in it and had great success.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by dodge on April 16, 2006 08:35 AM
kirksgirl

Why did you sister spray it with that?

Heard of shining the leaves, but not to spray..

[grin]

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Wrennie on April 16, 2006 07:26 PM
kirksgirl,
I think your sister needs an artificial plant.
I had a jade that lost a lot of its bottom leaves. Just by chance when I watered it the bottom of the stem got wet and it started new branches down low. (The stem is a V shape so I was pouring the water in the V.) I guess it liked the humidity effect.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by kirksgirl on April 17, 2006 12:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wrennie:
kirksgirl,
I think your sister needs an artificial plant.

I agree with 100%, she had commited some serious crimes against plants...LOL. [scaredy] She read a tip in a magazine where they said you could boost plant growth by putting gelatin in the soil- and she did! I also brought that plant home with me and the soil was literally like concrete- I could not chop it with a trowel, I could not soak it, I could not get it out of the pot...I gave her some ivy- I have found that stuff impossible to kill and easy to reroot...We'll see how long that will live [grin]
by dodge on April 17, 2006 12:15 AM
SHE WONT MAKE A FARMER.........

YOU SO NICE TO ADOPT HER PLANTS....I ALWAYS SAID I RUN A HOSPITAL FOR UNWANTED PLANTS, AND I HAVE GOTTEN LOTS OF HOUSE PLANTS THAT WAY.. NOW SWAPPIN IS THE NEATEST WAY......

HORRAY HORRAY ..WE FOUND THE USA.

SORRY .. THIS IS A JOLLY PLACE.

DODGE

-
 -
by kirksgirl on April 17, 2006 07:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dodge:
SHE WONT MAKE A FARMER.........

YOU SO NICE TO ADOPT HER PLANTS....
DODGE

Sadly It wasn't so much an adoption as a burial, she also killed a beauiful boston fern(That one made me want to cry)But I am trying to send her more towards succulants- something that can take some abuse and still survive. I told her to get an Aloe.
by dodge on April 17, 2006 07:58 AM
You poor dear....

Some folks are very hard to make listen.

She must be one..Know it alls?

GOod luck and dont take it serious.. More for you to adopt .....Or is it Murder?

dodge

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: